Chapter 9 - Thanks To You

Chapter 9

Thanks To You

Your POV:

I woke up around 7 when I heard the doorbell ring. I opened my eyes and took in my surroundings. I was still in Mark's bed with his flannel, but he was nowhere to be seen. 

I got out of bed and slipped on my jeans clumsily, still half asleep. As I buttoned up the few top buttons on the flannel, the doorbell rang again, followed by the sound of Katie running down the stairs. I heard her open the door, but she didn't greet whoever came. 

"Katie?" I hollered, "Who is it?"

I listened for a reply for a few moments before going to find out for myself. As I made my way out of the hall and towards the living room, I saw Katie stood frozen, looking outside with her hand still on the doorknob. I squinted my eyes slightly in confusion as I made my way over to her. I choked back a gasp as I stopped in front of the doorway, my heart racing.

Ace stood there, leaning against the doorframe on his shoulder, staring down at Katie with his evil grin, his stupid dog tags dangling from his neck. I cringed at the sight of his leather jacket, white undershirt, jeans, and sneakers. This was his look and nobody had really ever seen him in anything else, besides shirtless. He smelled deeply of cigarettes and booze. 

My heart beat a million miles an hour. Ace had a drinking habit and could really hold his drink. There is no way he was drunk, showing up at my doorstep. He was here by conscious effort. Where the hell was Mark when I needed him?

"Hey, doll face. Long time no see, huh? You looked sexy in that swimsuit yesterday."

I shivered at his words. "Why are you here, Ace?" I asked, stepping in front of Katie and moving her behind me. She wrapped her arm around my leg, staring up at 'Dog Tags', the nickname she had invented for him a long time ago. He laughed quietly, standing up and taking a step inside. My body moved away like an imaginary forcefield pushing me, avoiding him at all costs. 

"I just figured I would come and see my girlfriend again. It's been a few years."

"I am not dating you," I stated. He chuckled quietly, rolling his eyes and brushing a hand through his hair. I took another step back, holding onto Katie's arm tightly. I quickly picked up on the certain habits he had, especially the ones he did while he was pissed off. Playing with his hair was one of them. 

"We never broke up, actually. So, you are still my girlfriend. You've got the scar to prove it, right, babydoll?" He hissed. 

I flinched as he grabbed the bottom of Mark's flannel and hoisted it up, showing off my scar. I slapped away his hand quickly and he allowed the flannel to drop back down. He chuckled again quietly, placing one of his hands in his jacket pocket.

He pulled out a cigarette package and fiddled with the cover trying to open it. My body stood frozen as I watched him pull out a cigarette and place it between his lips. Ace pulled out a lighter and lit the end of the cig, taking a big deep breath in. He flipped the lighter shut and threw it back into his pocket before pulling the cigarette out of his mouth and blowing a cloud of smoke into my face. 

I held my breath and closed my eyes for a moment before opening and watching as the cloud floated upwards and disappeared. 

"You see, baby, the issue here is, is that you don't realize that I own you, remember? I was gone a few years and it's hard to recall that, but you will eventually. How about you and me go for a little ride down memory lane and we can pick up right where we left off." 

My stomach knotted. My head hurt. The memories came back.

The cool blade slashing my warm skin, the blood dripping from my wound as he snatched his jacket up from a chair and left the room. The old cabin smell and the dim string lights in the room made it difficult for me to find my phone.