Four- Percy and I

Annabeth

Percy Jackson. As far as I was concerned, twice a year was too many times.

A lot had happened in the past 5 years.

Other than the unaddressed feelings, that quickly turned to bitterness, I was insanely jealous of his wife. In another world, that might be me.

But no, I was stuck in this one, where mortal men were incompetent and immortal ones were eternally conceited.

Except for him.

We had history, you know? We knew each other. And, often we used it against each other. We'd been to Tartarus and back together.

But, let's talk about recent quarrels. Like Percy shooting down an idea I had last solstice and making me look like an idiot in front of the whole council. Or the previous summer solstice, in which we'd gotten in a fight in front of everybody and had to take it outside. What had developed was known as a 'godly rivalry' but all I called it was 'stubborn exes.'

Aphrodite offered me little comfort, and my mom offered me little advice.

"Mortal men aren't that incompetent," Athena reminded me. "That is why you're here, you know."

But in no mortal man could I find those sea green eyes I used to get lost in.

Percy was insanely loyal to Calypso. For this reason, I half figured he would never have any Half-Blood children. The moment loyalty betrayed somebody, the world would be messed up. No couple could trust each other. And, as long as loyalty was around, So was Percy. He was more permanent than I was. Then again, I look at most messed up mortal relationships and wandered if loyalty even existed anymore.

But there he was this morning. Perseus Achilles Jackson, in all his glory. Over the years he hadn't changed a bit. Humble, even as an immortal. It awed me. I on the other hand, was building and renovating Olympus, spending most of my days in the clouds. Recently, however, I had designed or added onto certain Olympians palaces or other such things. I had been offended when Percy hired a team of mermaids to design his blueprints and build his palace, and not me, but I hadn't been the kindest to him lately, and I realized and understood that.

Now we had to work together, yet again. The old dream team would be back, and we were fighting to stop an uprising, the Olympians most feared thing. After all this time, I'd realized immortality wasn't all it was cut out to be, it was just eternal longing. Eternal longing for the one who turned down immortality for me a long time ago, to be exact. Calypso and I were extremely awkward around each other. No way could I look at her and not feel a sea of jealousy.

I had watched Percy bolt to the arena and watched him care about others the same way that he always did. It was nice to know that no matter what, time wouldn't change that.

Now I turned and walked away from him, everything in me screaming 'don't look back.' Hiding my feelings would be like telling somebody the Himalayan Mountains didn't exist while we were standing right in front of them.

And for once, Percy didn't call after me, either.