Eleven- My Father Chooses

Percy

I walked to camp at 11:00 at night. Rising out of the Long Island Sound, I crossed the beach and made my way to the Poseidon cabin. I had left Calypso a note. "Business calls at Camp, be back tomorrow afternoon."

Business didn't call, but my conscience did. I opened the door to the low lying, sea green cabin and made my way to my old bunk. It was still lonely inside, but the walls over my bunk were still decorated like they used to be. The Minotaur horn hung over my bed. Pictures of Annabeth, Jason, Piper and I sat on my bedside table. Polaroid pictures remained on the wall. I flipped open the covers and laid down. "Lights out." I called to myself, before rolling over and going to sleep.

***

I awoke the next morning and made my way to the dining pavilion.

"Ah, Perseus," Chiron smiled. "Why are you here so early?"

"Just needed to clear my mind," I shook my head. "I miss being mortal."

Chiron looked at me curiously. "Don't we all."

"I miss camp, mostly," I said. "And being with... my friends."

Annabeth.

No, not Annabeth. You're married Percy. Come on.

"I see," Chiron said.

Love is a double edged blade. You can't trust it.

"Chiron..." I spoke lowly. "There's a storm brewing bigger than what I want to imagine. The campers are angry, I can feel it. They're planning an uprising."

"Percy, I can't do anything, my hands are tied. Should something happen at camp, I lose my position and my immortality." Chiron warned. "Don't let that happen to you. You're only alive while your domain is."

Heroes, tides, loyalty, swordsmanship.

"Chiron we can't let this war happen, we have to cut it off before it can take root." I said.

"I'm afraid it already has. This is a sensitive topic and it's not wise you discuss it." Chiron said.

"The campers numbers are dwindling. They are leaving camp." I said. "Aren't they?"

Chiron shook his head. "Yes."

"Therefore it's not your responsibility." I said.

"Somebody must take the blame." Chiron said.

"Why don't the gods take the blame?" I asked.

The sky thundered.

"Be careful what you say, Percy," Chiron said. "Olympians have a habit of taking things personally."

"Oh, I know..." I muttered.

"Percy," a son of Apollo on horseback rode over to greet me.

"Hey girl," I smiled warmly at the horse. "How's it going?"

Lord, she affectionately nuzzled me. Great!! Stables clean, apples. Do you have a sugar cube?

I reached into my satchel and gave her some sugar cubes. "Here you go girl."

The camper stared, probably wondering why I looked more engaged when talking to horses than humans.

"Er, Lord Perseus. We came to inform you that some of the Apollo campers won't be able to report to training today. We have capture the flag maneuvers to go over." He said.

"Alright," I said, petting the horse in between the ears. "I'll see you guys tomorrow then."

"Thanks, Lord," he said, before riding off down the hill.

"Percy," Chiron sighed. "May I ask... what is going on between Annabeth and you?"

I shook my head. "I don't know."

Pick a side...

Maybe I should talk to my father. "Chiron, Jason is in charge of swords lessons today. I won't be able to make it. I need to speak with my father."

"Yes, Lord," Chiron said. "Take as much time off as you need."

"Until tomorrow," I nodded, before flashing to my the doors of my fathers palace in the ocean.

The mermen bowed, and I nodded in hello. I walked through the beautiful sea stone palace into my fathers gaping throne room.

"Percy!" He said with a weathered smile. "How are you, my boy?"

I ignored the question. "Father, May I speak with you? In private?"

"Yes," he pursed his lips. We walked off to the side, into a room of maps and charts.

"Father... what's going on?" I asked. For an Olympian, I often spent my time with mortals and was out of the loop... and oblivious.

"Perseus, you must be careful." He warned.

"So it's true. There is going to be a war." I said.

"It's all rumor and speculation," he shook his head.

"No," I said. "It's not. Father... who are you fighting for?"

He looked around. "How dare you put me in a position to lose everything I have son."

"I need to know if somebody has my back." I said.

He looked around.

"I can't fight with underdogs, Percy," he said. "It won't work."

"Father, don't underestimate them." I said.

"Percy, you must think with your head."

"I am." I reasoned. "I fear none of you know what's at stake here."

"I fear you don't know what you have to lose." Poseidon shook his head.

"Goodbye father." I said. "May we meet again on better terms."