Fourteen- Camp Half-Blood is Attacked... Again

Percy

Calypso stood by my side as we watched.

At daybreak.

The sun hadn't yet touched the sky. I shifted uncomfortably.

Calypso put her hand on my shoulder. "Relax, hero." She smiled a bittersweet smile at me, that took me back to the nights we spent on her island, falling in love. What I would give to go back to that now.

"Hero," I repeated.

"And now, look at you," she said proudly. "But, you'll always be that same hero to me."

I put my arm around her, and pulled her close to me. "Stay by my side during the battle," I said. "I can't lose you."

Suddenly, a horn sounded in the distance.

The alarm.

From the sky, a formation of chariots sprouted, approaching over Long Island Sound. I walked towards the commons.

"Stand ready!" I called. "Don't fire! Perhaps we can make peace."

The chariots approaches, and landed in the middle of the U-Shape.

"Zeus!" I yelled. "Stand down! We don't want to fight!"

"Looks like you're ready for one!" Spat the Lord of the sky.

I looked at Annabeth, and met her eyes. She looked afraid. The attack would have been secret, but she told me about it to save us- she betrayed Zeus. Her face was pale white.

"I sensed danger," I lied. "We will turn in all we know about the uprising, if you leave us be. We don't want to fight."

"Blasted nonsense!" Zeus yelled.

"Calm down, father," Athena approached me. "The boy speaks true. These campers are innocent."

"I don't believe it!" Zeus yelled.

"We fought for you," a Half-Blood called out. "Now you want to fight against us?"

It was Clarisse. Ares nodded in approval. Then he knit his eyebrows in confusion.

"Fighting," Ares said. "But I like fighting. Bloody fighting."

"Ignore him." I told Zeus. "He's taken a few too many sword hits to the head."

Ares glared at me.

"Stand down, Half-Bloods," Zeus said. "And we'll make your death easy."

I didn't understand. Why were the gods being so unfair.

"Why does anybody have to die?" I asked.

"The last time there was an uprising, even the people who were fighting alongside you were conversing with the enemy," Zeus said. "Your little spy."

Anger boiled inside of me at the mention of Silena. "She died a hero." I protested.

"Nevertheless, we can't have it happen again." Zeus said.

"But this is unfair," I argued. "They're innocent."

Zeus looked bored.

Calypso stepped up. I touched her hand to hold her back, but she pulled away from me. Normally I was the one saying the stupid stuff and challenging the gods to blast me to smithereens. Seeing her stand up after her life rocky history with them made me nervous.

"You're unfair," she said. "You're going to kill them, just like you banished me to my island, and all the innocent people you punished after the Great War."

"Hush, Calypso," Zeus barked. "You're lucky we set you free. Now gods! Attack!"

All Hades broke loose.

I knew most of these campers couldn't hold their own, but the sounds of war broke out anyways.

"Calypso!" I yelled. "Stay with me or get to cover!"

She wasn't a fighter, she was a healer, but she made a gesture with her hands, and suddenly the battlefield began to glow golden.

A blessing.

With that, she darted off towards the sword fighting arena to begin tending to injuries that were sure to happen shortly.

The campers fired canons, clashed swords, sent out volleys of arrows. The gods fighting on our side engaged the opposing gods, but we were quickly getting pushed down. I looked to see which god to go after, when I realized my father wasn't among the opposing ranks.

I couldn't dwell on it. In the final battle of the first great prophecy, he had chose to stay under the sea dealing with his own problems. Maybe he'd chosen to stay neutral for this.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zeus zap a camper into ashes, and I turned angrily. I pointed the tip of Riptide towards him. "Fight me, Zeus!"

And with that, I charged the lord of the sky.