Seven- New York City... Sewers

Calypso

Percy was definitely right about the sewers. Nothing like a romantic date walking through 2 feet of litter and human excrements.

"I mean, you get the same type of feel- and smell- walking through the streets," Percy said. "Only there are more rats down here."

I shuddered, and kept walking, sticking to the side, careful with my footing so I didn't step in the flowing pool of... I don't know what.

"So this rebellion," Hazel said. "Threatening to surprise an attack on Mount Olympus?"

"Guess they'll go up 6 at a time?" Percy asked.

"Whatever Percy," Annabeth rolled her eyes. "There's always something bigger in the works. You know that, if anybody does."

"A small uprising was what Luke was supposedly starting," Artemis agreed.

I wanted to agree, but siding with my husbands arch rival and a 2,000 year old 12 year old maiden probably wouldn't be for the best right now. Percy and I had been on weird terms lately. He seemed so distant, yet reassuring. I couldn't tell what was going on with him, and couldn't quite figure it out. For a while, because of his frequent comings and going's, I assumed he was having an affair with a mortal, which was tough to grasp at first- then, I had to remember Percy's domain was loyalty.

The next thing he said was almost inaudible, and I guaranteed that I only heard it because he was so close to me.

"Let 'em," Percy muttered.

It took me by surprise at first, but it didn't. I hadn't noticed it, but when had Percy become so unhappy? For a while, things were good. But now, he was different. Things had changed. I couldn't remember how it happened, when it started, but all I knew was he was different now. I loved every piece of him, but everyday his old self seemed to be fading into oblivion, until possibly one day, no piece would be left to love.

Percy caught my eyes in the dark, but I quickly turned my head forward and focused on following Annabeth's footsteps. The platform was narrow, so we couldn't walk side by side.

Eventually, the corridors all seemed to run together. After so many left right left right's it got confusing and I stopped trying to remember the way. Everything looked the same, and my thoughts were buzzing about Percy. I'd have to talk to him later. How had it passed me by that he was becoming so cold?

"Here." Hazel finally said.

"There's nothing there." I said, staring at the dead end.

"That's what you think," Hazel said. "There has to be a latch somewhere."

"Where?" Artemis asked, almost certain.

"If you didn't want people to get in..." Annabeth said, and looked down at the pool of gunk. "You would put it where people wouldn't want to go."

For some reason, all eyes turned to Percy.

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh Hades no. Don't even."

"Relax," Hazel rolled her eyes. "The latch is made of iron. I can control it."

She closed her eyes in graceful concentration, and in front of us the door shifted and turned. A clicking and locking sound led to a grinding noise, and then the doors pulled away.

"Now," Hazel said. "We've located the strong hold. Orders?"

"There's nobody here." Percy noted.

"From here, the Half-Bloods take up the job," Artemis said. "I just wanted to check it out for myself."

"Wait," Percy said, and pushed past Hazel to walk into the door.

"Percy wait," Annabeth argued, but before she could say anything else, he was gone. "Dammit. He never listens."

I pushed past her to follow him. "I'll find him."

The area was spacious, wide with a tall stone ceiling. That is, the first room. Several hallways branched out into several more hallways, and into several more, until I realized how many entrances there were. A base intertwined win the sewers of New York City. You don't hear that one everyday.

I wouldn't have found him had I not heard the sound of a book dropping. It echoed through the tunnels and stone hallways like a gunshot, the sound of a big, hardback textbook clunking onto the floor. Before the reverb got too bad, I headed down the hallway I'd originally heard it come from.

"Percy?" I called. "Percy?"

"I'm here," he said. I paused for a moment, and then took a turn into a different hallway, until I lost his voice to follow.

"Where?" I asked.

"Here." He stepped out of a doorway. "Look. Must be their control room."

I walked in and was greeted by a big center table with maps, strategies, markers, photographs and books, and a whole back wall lined with boards, full of the same thing. The other walls were occupied with shelves full of books or potions or Greek fire. Chests were underneath the big center table, probably full of weapons or something.

I looked behind me before entering the room. "Percy we need to talk."

He gave me a questionable look, although we both knew good and well what I was talking about. He then looked bored, as he realized I knew he was faking. "What?"

"You exploded back there... what's with you and Annabeth going at it?" I asked. "All out of nowhere?"

Percy looked down, and bit his lip, making me want to crash into him and pull him in and kiss him and forget the brewing war going on. I knew there was a war boring inside of him though. A sea storm, a hurricane. The outside was his eye, calm and collected, but the inside was wild and unpredictable. What was he fighting with this time? His conscious, his mind, his heart?

Please not his heart... I silently begged.

"It isn't out of nowhere," he said. "You know that."

"Why do you guys make it a point to fight?" I asked.

"It's just how she is," he replied, sounding annoyed. "She's stubborn and won't ever back down, she's prideful and full of conflict and everything that happened between us, we can't ever seem to get a grip. But don't worry about it." He took a step towards me, his green eyes meeting mine. "Look, I love you."

He wrapped me in his arms, in the middle of enemy headquarters.

Enemy headquarters...

It's a little quiet to be enemy headquarters. The suspicion bit at the back of my mind but my thoughts were drowned in Percy's arm and scent- like a fresh sea breeze. Brighter days. Island days, that we spent falling in love.

He kissed my cheek as he pulled away, keeping his arms around me, just separating enough to look at me. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I wish not." I decided.

"Not a lot of security. Almost like they wanted somebody to come."

"Shouldn't we leave it to the Half-Bloods from here?" I asked, still in a trance from his touch.

"We can think about it later," he decided, before kissing me.

His arms pulled me tighter, breaking the distance between us. My hands went to his face, and he deepened the kiss.

We broke away finally, our foreheads touching.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you, forever." I said.

"Promise?" He gave me puppy dog eyes.

"Promise."

He kissed me again.