Sixteen- Ogygia Sands

Percy

Hermes patted me on the shoulder. "I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "It's okay."

"Eternity on this island..." Hermes grimaced. He seemed to know it wasn't okay. "I guess that's your gift for saving the world twice..."

"Hey, when one curse is removed, another has to take its place, right?" I asked. Neither of us agreed with the gods and I knew it.

Hermes frowned. "The cycle repeats."

Indeed.

"Well," I said. "A millennia on a deserted island never hurt anybody..."

My heart weighed heavily in my chest. I would never see the people I loved again. My mom, all the mortals at camp. I realized I'd never look into my mother's eyes again, or feel one of her hugs. I'd never be able to thank Paul for being such a good stepdad, and for taking care of my mother.

"I'll have to let you know how camp is," Hermes decided. "I guess you won't be having any demigod children to worry about."

"Can you keep me up to date on Annabeth's children?" I asked.

He looked at me, puzzled. "Annabeth has children?"

I mentally facepalmed. I didn't know if Annabeth would be okay with me exposing her secrets like that. Half-Blood children could be a touchy topic. I didn't even know who they were, but I figured as much as Hermes got around, he'd probably be the first to figure it out.

"I... she told me she did." I said. "If you find anything out, when you find anything out, can you just inform me of how they are?"

Hermes nodded slowly. "I suppose so."

"It's just... I'm sure they'll do great things like her." I said.

The sound of birds chirping and waves lapping filled the silence. The white sand sparkled. As beautiful as it was, it was empty, and the feeling of loneliness drowned the beauty of it all. I remembered all those nights with Calypso, running the beach, tending to the garden, eating candlelight dinners. I remembered how even the birds and animals of the island loved her. Picnics, singing, storytelling and laughing. The way she brushed her hair out of her face, how she danced on the beach. Her smile and kind eyes. The way she wrapped her arms around me, and kissed me. The way she cared for everything. I certainly would have a lot to miss over the next 1,000 years.

Hermes frowned. "I'll try to stop by. Keep you updated. I guess..."

"I'll see you at the summer solstice," I decided. No more sad goodbyes.

"I'll see you then. Goodbye, Perseus."

"Goodbye, Lord Hermes."

As he walked into the surf, his shoes sprouted wings, and he began to fly so fast he turned into a sizzling comet and disappeared from sight. I realized this must have been what Calypso had seen all those years, alone, watching Hermes leave. I wandered when he'd visit again.

I didn't have time to think about it.

"A brave hero stands on a beach, doomed for a millennia, taking punishment for something he didn't do." A voice said from behind me. "But he should know that I'm not going to let him feel like I did, all those years, waiting for someone like him to come along."

I turned to see Calypso.

"Calypso," I breathed, before running towards her and embracing her.

"I'm simply not letting you go that easily, Percy," she smiled into my shoulder. "You can't just let the good ones get away that easily. You can save the world as much as you want, but you can't get away from me, Perseus Jackson. Even if you drive me crazy in a million different ways."

"I love you," I managed. Tears stung my eyes.

"I love you too. If we go down, we go down together." She assured me. "We're always together."

"Always."

I thought, maybe being stuck on the island for a millennia wouldn't be too bad.