Chapter 33

JASLYNN

"He still hasn't spoken to you, has he?" 

"Well, he grunted when I wished him good morning today, so that's progress."

Reece stopped in her tracks and gave me a blank stare, and I raised my hands in a shrug, "It really is progress. He has not acknowledged anything I have said for the past three days. At least he grunted to let me know he heard."

"Just know that you'll be getting the grunt treatment for a while. His anger hasn't simmered down completely yet, " she said, turning back around to continue walking, "And is there a reason why you wanted to visit the third section?"

I sighed, covering my nose as the smell of dried blood and vomit started to tickle my nostrils, "I wanted to check on Nolan. I still feel awful about his punishment."

"He'll be out of those chains before you know it," she said, patting my back comfortingly, "Besides, his whip lashes would have healed by now so I'm sure he isn't in as much pain as before."

"I guess, but I–"

My phone started vibrating, and I pulled it out of my pocket to blink at the Minister's number sliding across the screen, "It's the Minister. Finally."

As I clicked the green button, Reece whispered, "I'll be back. I need to pick up some paperwork for Alrik."

I nodded and gave her a thumbs up as the Minister's boisterous voice filled my ear, "Jaslynn!"

"Minister! How are you?" I greeted, surprised to hear how cheerful he was.

I could practically hear the grin on his face as he said, "I haven't felt this alive in ages. I've completely forgotten the thrill of heading into battle and being victorious. Why, all this fighting has made me feel three centuries younger."

"Perhaps this is a sign that you should get out more," I smiled broadly, "And who exactly are you fighting so early in the journey?"

"Rogues, of course. The territory we just traveled through was flooded with rogue wolves. It was quite fascinating to learn that fire scared them away so quickly."

"Are Daxton's dragon warriors treating you well?"

"Oh, definitely. Not only are they wonderful warriors, but they are great companions. The stories they tell are absolutely amazing. They have lightened the atmosphere of this dangerous trip."

Just as he said, I heard someone yell in a distance, "Yo Minister! Your rabbit is getting burnt."

The Minister cursed, and there was some shuffling before he returned to the line, "How are things with you and Alrik, dear? Did you work things out?"

"Well, we did, but he's not too happy with me at the moment," I sighed, explaining what I had discovered and the argument I had with him. 

As I explained my thoughts, the Minister was silent and for a moment, I thought the call had ended before he hummed in response, "You know, Jaslynn, sometimes actions speak louder than words. I'm sure Alrik has been told before that he is wrong for punishing his pack members like that, and when you brought it up, it didn't do much other than infuriate him."

"So I have to open his eyes another way," I stated, slowing my pace as the punishing grounds came into clear view.

"Precisely. But you have to make sure no one gets hurt in the process. I don't think Alrik will appreciate any experiment that hurts his pack members."

"Oh, of course not. I do not plan to make their situation any more difficult. "

The Minister sighed, "I wish you the best in your endeavor and pray for your success. I have to go now, but I'll call you when we reach the next territory. I'm positive we'll reach the cave by next week."