Chapter 48

^This gorgeous cover was made by the lovely Ancientt . Thank you so much, babe! If you don't already know, she is one of the werewolf queens on Wattpad, and she's got an amazing series going, so check her out! 

The evening after the Minister's funeral, Dario called a meeting between all the leaders, and we found ourselves waiting miserably for him in the conference room

There was an awkward tension in the air as we all stared at the table, deep in our own thoughts. Alrik would occasionally rub a circle in my palm to comfort me, but other than that no one made any sudden movements.

It was almost as if we were afraid to.

There was a soft knock on the door, and everyone raised their heads as Dario marched in confidently. He settled in the seat at the end of the table beside Alrik and nodded at everyone politely, "Leaders, we have an issue on our hands. Are you all up to date on what has occurred?"

There was a series of affirmative responses, and Dario raised his eyebrows curiously, "So is it safe to assume that all hands are on deck now? I am well aware that the only people who have been involved since the beginning are Ms. Jaslynn and Alpha Alrik, and just recently Mr. Daxton had joined in."

 Wilbur muttered what seemed to be a rude comment under his breath that I tried to ignore, but it caught Alrik and Dario's attention immediately.

"Mr. Wilbur, do you have something to say?" Dario asked, a warning undertone in his voice.

The griffin sneered, "Nothing, Minister Dario. I was just acknowledging how all of this could have been avoided," he directed his glare at me.

I remained expressionless, but under the table, my hand was clasping Alrik's tightly in an attempt to calm him down as his rage started to bubble.

Dario narrowed his eyes, glancing at me briefly before returning his gaze to Wilbur, "How do you think that, Mr. Wilbur?"

"Jaslynn is the reason we are in this position."

"I would tread carefully if I were you," Alrik hissed, his voice coming out as a snarl near the end. 

Wilbur pursed his lips at the threat, "All I mean to say is that if Jaslynn had kept her legs closed for a few more days, the Minister would have been al–"

He was cut off as Alrik lunged for his throat with a deadly growl, and I jumped out of my seat after him, "Alrik, don't!"

While I had expected some subtle backlash over the Minister's death since all of us were in still in a deep state of grief, I didn't think it would escalate to the point where I would have to hold Alrik back as he defended me.

I circled my arms around him from behind and hugged him, praying that he could feel me under the fog of his anger. After a few moments, his body relaxed, and he loosened his grip on Wilbur's throat and allowed Dario and Daxton to pull him away.