Chapter 1

The story begins on page 53 of the book Divergent, just as the initiates are jumping off the train. Please don't hate on me, this is my first ever fanfic, critique is welcomed though.

Disclaimer: I (sadly) do not own any of the characters

"They're jumping off!"

I lift my head. My head aches. I have been curled up with my back against the wall for at leasf half an hour. I look around and see the Dauntless in the cars ahead are indeed jumping off and onto a rooftop. The tracks are seven stories up. The idea of jumping off the train this far up makes me want to puke but for Christina's sake I don't as she is right beside me. We stand up and she looks even more terrified than me. Is that possible? I outstretch my hand and she grasps it tight. We make a running start and leap off. The few seconds in the air are exhilarant, but when we land a jolt goes all the way up my body from the impact and I am thrown off balance, letting go of Christina and rolling on the gravel. I push myself up and give a high-pitched laugh, very unlike my usual laugh. But I'm excused because I just jumped off a moving train onto a seven story building with just a few bruises from the stones. Jeez I'm not even a Dauntless member yet and I'm already getting an action-packed life. A few metres away a Candor boy is kneeling over and throwing up. I look away. By the edge of the building, standing on the ledge like a sidewalk, an older man is watching us all. He has dark skin and gray hair at his temples. "Listen up! My name is Max and I am one of the leaders in your new faction," he shouts. "Several stories below us is the member's entrance to our compound. If you can't muster the will to jump off, you don't belong here. Initiates, you go first."

Many people are shocked, and to be honest I'm not too happy about jumping off, the train was enough, but I can truthfully say I was almost expecting this daredevil task. Max looks impatient to get started so I speak up.

"Who goes first?"

"Why don't you, Stiff?" says a Candor boy, smirking.

"Fine," I say stubbornly and walk over to the ledge. I climb up and look down to the pavement. I see a big black hole that swallows everything in darkness. I gulp, regretting my rash actions. The crowd snickers and I flush with anger. I tear my jumper off and throw it hard at the boy's stomach, then turn and lean slightly forwards, just enough to let me fly down head first. I hold in a scream and savour the moment, extending my arms and imagining what it would be like to be a bird and fly. Too soon, the darkness sorrounds me. I then feel a net stop my fall. I sigh with relief as suddenly I see how badly this could have ended. I jumped off a building just because some guy told me to. I hear a few whoops and grab an outstrechted hand to help myself off the net. My feet find firm ground and I feel a bit dizzy and wind-flushed. A pair of dark blue eyes stare at me with disbelief. They belong to the person whose hand I grabbed.

"Name?" he asks me in a low, rumbling voice.

"Be... Uhm, Tris," I say, deciding on a new start.

"First jumper: Tris!" he turns to the crowd and shouts. As I walk to the back of the room, people pat me on the back and smile at me. Next, Christina's screams follow her down as she hits the net. In fifteen minutes everyone has jumped. The guy who helped me off the net calls for quiet and presents himself as Four. He will train us transfers. We follow him to the dorm room and the dauntless born go with a girl called Lauren.

+++

Me and Christina go into the cafeteria and find a seat next to Four. We eat till we feel like we'll burst. A boy with tattoes and countless piercings walks in.

"Who is that?" asks Christina.

"Eric, he's a Dauntless leader." says Four.

"Isn't he a bit young?" she asks.

"Age doesn't matter here." Me and Christina exchange a quizzical look. I look at the boy and turn to Christina.

"He's a looker right?" I whisper to her. She giggles and smirks at me.

"No Tris... not a looker... he's serious hot stuff!!!" she sighs, as if explaining to a little kid 1+1=2 for the billionth time. Eric spots Four and walks toward him.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" he asks, nodding to me and Christina as he takes a place next to Four.

"This is Tris," Four points to me "and Christina." he points to her.

"Eric," he says simply. We nod. Up close you can see his eyes, which are breathtakingly blue, very pale, like ice. "Max sent me to investigate why you never show up when he invites you to talk to him."

"Tell him I am satisfied with the position I occupy"

"So he's offering you a job?"

"And has been doing so for the past two years"

"I'll drop the hint you're not interested" I notice how Four looks tense and immediately think they are rivals. Eric gets up and leaves.

"Are you two... friends?" I ask Four.

"We were in the same initiate class. He transferred from Erudite" he replies simply. I nod. Four disappears to talk to some Dauntless. When all the initiates are done eating we leave to the dorms, accompanied by Eric. We get changed in the Dauntless clothes that have been left for us and slide into bed.

+++

I hear sobs from the boy in the bunk next to mine. They're coming from Al, the Candor boy who was throwing up on the roof. He's huge so it annoys me somewhat that someone so big and strong breaks down so easily. I get up and storm out of the dorm, knowing I won't be able to sleep. I walk to the chasm and lean against the railing. I let the sound of the water calm me down. Suddenly I hear footsteps behind me. I turn and see Eric. He's scowling.

"Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?" he asks me.

"I should say the same about you," I reply smugly "and I couldn't sleep with the sound of people crying".

"Right. And to answer your question, I've just had a meeting with Max."

"Ok. Am I allowed to ask what about?" I say.

"Pretty curious for a Stiff, huh?" he smirks "About Four. I won't say more. Goodnight." he walks off. As he's turning the corner he does a double take and laughs. "I heard you and your friend say I'm hot. I quite agree with you!" he jokes and walks off. I'm glad he's gone and it's too dark to catch my blush. I slowly walk back to the dorm, suddenly exausted.

+++

I wake because of a slight shake of my shoulder. I open my eyes to see Christina.

"Come on Tris, first day of initiation. Get up." she says.

I hope you enjoyed it. I know it's short and a tad boring but it'll get better. Please tell me if you liked it or not and what you liked and what you didn't, if there was anything that annoyed you or if I have any bad habits in writing that were disturbing you. I'm writing on my phone so I'm sorry if I made some mistakes. I'll start writing the next chapter if you want and post it in a few days if you like.

~JaceIsNaturalBlonde