Chapter 10 - History Goes Too Far Back

History class was exactly like what you would expect. Neat classroom, a bookself, and a white board. There were no personalized paintings and pictures like some teachers sometimes put in their classroom. The white board had two words upon it—Ms. Lisa. Jason's knowledge of the academy teachers had not failed so far. Ms. Lisa herself was tall, with slanted eyes that watched everyone in the classroom as if they were cheating on a test. She got straight to the point and started class, barely saying anything more than her name and what she taught. She stated what she would be teaching in the class: politics, wars, etc., and began talking about why history was so important. Miles had heard it all before.

"You need to know the origin of your country."

"You must be aware of the past struggles."

"It is not just a bunch of dead people."

"If you know the bad parts of your history, it will prevent it from happening again."

"I can't believe you haven't learned this stuff yet."

It was all the same. Miles didn't mind history, it was one of his favorite favorite subjects. It was real stuff that had happened and was happening, unlike the fake stuff like sciences. It was just that history classes were very repetitive, and Miles could tell that he wasn't going to be fond of his history teacher, either.

Ms. Lisa wasn't too fond of Miles either, as it turned out. She called on him about halfway through class to answer why people left England to come to America.

"Um, I dunno," said Miles intelligently. Ms. Lisa narrowed her already-very-narrow-eyes at him and called on Ian, who had the answer. Miles felt stupid. He had known the answer. It was obvious. The British left England to come to the Americas so they would be able to worship freely and pursue their religious beliefs, that among other reasons of which Miles also knew. He hadn't answered when she called because he was confused. He had accidentally dozed off in the middle of the lesson, and had just woken up, thankfully, seconds before.

"Yes, Ian. That is correct," Ms. Lisa said, nodding non-happily to Ian, who had just repeated Miles' thoughts back to the teacher. Apparently Miles wasn't the only one that liked history. Ms. Lisa continued speaking. "Every single one of you should have known that. You are all here because you are special, but do not let that get to your thick heads. If you do not participate and listen in class, you will fail and retake it. I do not enjoy teaching you, so I do not hope to have to reteach anything, to any of you. I am here because it pays. And as long as everyone listens silently and does well on tests and papers, we will not have a problem. Got it?"

Miles got it. So not all the teachers in Fandomania were as nice as the likes of Ms. Lukeson or Mr. Turner. Some were mean. This teacher was mean. What a pity. History class, Miles thought, would not be fun.

The rest of class went by painfully slow. Miles rested his chin on him palm and sat, staring straight ahead. Until something caught his eye. At first, he thought it was merely a reflection of the glare of the sunlight. But as he looked more intently at Ms. Lisa's desk, he realized it was the shape of a figure. He looked around for someone standing at the door, casting a shadow upon the desk. There was no one standing there. He looked back at the desk. The figure emerged from behind the desk and Miles stifled a shout. It was the transparent figure of a young boy. It came out fully from the desk and sort of floated towards the door. Miles blinked. Was he seeing things. Surely there wasn't a ghost before him. Miles looked up. The class was still going on. Ms. Lisa was drowning on, and the class was listening. Miles coughed a little to try and get Jason's attention. It didn't work. The desks were arranged in single rows. Miles looked back down at the figure, who was floating very close to the door. And then it was gone—it had gone straight through the door!

Miles stood up abruptly, causing his desk to be pushed forward loudly. He made his way quickly to the door and out of the classroom. But the spirit thing wasn't in the hallway. He looked around for several seconds and was shaking his head when the door to the history room opened and closed.

"What was all that about?" asked Jason, who stepped out into the hallway with Miles.

"I...I," Miles stuttered for a second, then gained composure. "I thought I saw something."

Jason stared at him for what seemed like forever. "What did you see?"

"I thought I saw a—"

The door to the history room opened again, and out came Caspar.

"Did I miss the make-out session?" he asked, grinning. That guy probably lives for moments like this.

"What are you doing out here?" Jason asked him.

Caspar flashed up a bathroom pass and showed his set of pearly white teeth. Jason nodded, impressed.

"I thought I saw a ghost or spirit or something," Miles continued, still shaken. "It was right—"

The door opened yet again, and the pretty girl that Miles had met yesterday walked out.

"Alright!" exclaimed Caspar. "Now it's a party!"

"What's happening?" asked Lilly.

"Could you guys just go back to class?"

More words were exchanged, but Miles had drowned them out. Instead he was focused on something else. The figure had reappeared, and was crouching on the other side of the hallway, looking scared.

"Guys?" Miles said. No one heard him. "Guys!"

They all stopped talking at once and looking in the direction Miles was pointing.

"Oh my god!" said Lilly.

"No way!" Caspar said.

"Woah," was all Jason said.

They all stared in unison at the figure crouching. Miles took a cautious step forward.

"We aren't going to hurt you," he said slowly.

The sound of Miles' voice must have scared the spirit. It dashed down the hallway and made a turn, moving out of their sight. Miles looked back at Jason, Caspar, and Lilly. They looked back at Miles. The four of them came to a silent understanding. And they ran forward, chasing after the ghost.

Fandomania is taking a one month break after this tenth chapter. I hope you all have enjoyed it so far and I wanted to make this chapter as interesting as possible. Feel welcome to send me feedback as well as things you'd like to see in future chapters. I am very happy about the support that this book has received and there's more in store. Check back on Wednesday June 12th for the next chapter!

Fandomania
Chapter 10 - History Goes Too Far Back
May 12, 2019
🅙🅞🅢🅗 🅐🅛🅑🅡🅘🅖🅗🅣