Chapter 17 - The Search For Proof

Miles woke up relieved the next morning. He actually felt like he had gotten a decent amount of sleep. He looked at the digital look on the dresser to see that he had woken up about an hour before the day started. Jason was already sitting up, but still looked groggy and Kane was still sound asleep. Caspar wasn't in his bunk. Good god, though Miles. Does that guy ever sleep?

Miles resigned himself to the fact that he wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep, and instead brushed his teeth and pulled on some fresh clothes. He walked out of the cabin and spotted Caspar jogging around the border of the cabins, as if it was his own makeshift track. When he got over to Cabin 4, Miles joined him.

"Sup, dude?" Caspar nodded at Miles.

Caspar had just recently showered—his blond hair was still damp and sticking to his head. Miles could smell his shampoo, an ocean-breeze scent.

"You can teleport, ya know," Miles said.

Caspar just shrugged. "I like exercise."

They kept running around Caspar's imaginary track. After a couple minutes, Miles was heaving for breaths. Caspar must have realized because he slowed his fast pace despite not looking the least bit tired.

"So I overheard Doc trying to figure out how the barrier was broken when I went in the house to take a shower," Caspar looked over his shoulder at Miles. "I don't think he had any idea of how it happened. I don't think he's too suspicious yet either, probably thinks it's a bloody malfunction in the system."

"You didn't tell him about our theory, did you?"

Caspar shook his head. "Nah. I'm pretty sure we're safe for now from attacks, so we have some time to develop an actual case against the mad woman."

"Yeah," Miles agreed. "It's probably better that way. I wouldn't believe us if I were him, so we need to get some proof."

"Soon," promised Caspar. "I'm sure we'll dig some dirt up at some point."

"I sure hope so."

Miles fell out of pace with Caspar and headed to the house behind the academy. Not being able to teleport, Miles decided not to try and snoop on what Lancaster and other staff might be doing. Instead, he just turned into the room on his left and took a shower.

Apparently his streak of running head-first into drama was not yet over, as when coming out of the bathroom, Miles saw Lancaster in the back of the main room, talking to Mr. Turner.

"You're right," Lancaster was saying, "this is a place for... to learn to control their powers... more importantly it is a place to keep them safe."

Miles could only hear bits and pieces, so, guiltily, he inched closer. He didn't catch Mr. Turner's response, as the man was talking very quietly, but he heard as Lancaster picked back up.

"If we can't figure this out... Plan B... we can't have the same thing that happened last time happen again! I won't allow that to happen to..."

Miles could hear more this time, but some parts were still too faint. He turned away and was about to leave the room when he heard his name. He spun around and listened for more, his interest in the conversation renewed.

"You really think he's..." Mr. Turner was saying.

"Who else?" Lancaster replied, and that was all Miles could hear. After that, their voices got lower and Miles didn't dare get any closer. Why are they talking about me, Miles thought. Why single me out?

Without warning, Mr. Turner walked out of the back room and straight into Miles.

"Oh!" Mr. Turner said in alarm. "I'm sorry, Miles. Didn't see you there."