Chapter 26 - A Night To Remember

"I'm bored," Caspar announced, lying face up on his bunk. "So bored..."

"It's the last day of break," Miles said. "The others will be back tonight."

"Still," Caspar complained. "So bored. I need ideas."

"I thought you were in charge of coming up with ideas," Kane said.

"Ideas!" Caspar demanded.

"Okay, okay," said Miles. "You could—"

"Done that," Caspar interrupted.

"What about—" Jason started.

"Boring," Caspar interrupted.

"Well there's always—" Kane tried.

"Nothing," Caspar interrupted. "There's always nothing. Never anything."

"I'm asking Lilly out today," Miles said, more to himself than anyone else. He had promised himself he would do it before the break was over, but he still hadn't done it. He had never asked anyone out before, and just couldn't manage the courage to do it. He had tried several times over the past several months, but had never been successful. He had always chickened out once the time actually came to say the words. He knew it was stupid—he would probably face much worse in the future than a girl, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it nonetheless. But it was the last day of their winter break, so if he didn't do it today, he may never do it. In a way, he was glad he had told his cabin mates, because then he'd have someone to answer to if he chickened out again.

"Yes!" Caspar almost shouted, swinging his legs over the bunk. "Now that's interesting!"

"Wait, what?" Jason did a double-take at the words.

Miles nodded. "I'm gonna do it today."

Kane slapped him on the back. "Good for you. Take her somewhere nice, like the cafeteria. Or maybe the media center."

Caspar howled with laughter.

"You sure you want to do that now?" Jason asked. "What about after we get out of Fandomania?"

"Yeah, I know it's not a perfect time or place, but I still think I should ask her now rather than later."

"I agree," Kane said. "Once she see me against those Necron brats, she'll fall head over heels for me. Get her now while you still can."

Caspar's laughter continued.

"Well I'm glad you all are finding this humorous," said Miles.

Caspar hopped down from his bunk and faced Miles. "See, I predicted you two becoming a match weeks ago. So really, what are you two lovebirds planning to do? Assuming she agrees to do anything with you, of course."

"I don't really know, haven't thought about it much," Miles lied.

"Haven't thought about it much?" Jason questioned.

"Maybe a little," Miles admitted. "I guess just like Kane said, eating together in the cafeteria."

"Which you do everyday anyway," Caspar pointed out. "You gotta make this more special than that, mate."

"What did you have in mind?" asked Miles.

"Hmm," Caspar smiled. "What about you go hunting in the forest, or fight each other in Captain R's ring? Something thrilling like that?"

"Have you ever had a girlfriend?" Jason asked. "Or been on a date."

"'Course," said Caspar, "been on several dates. Have had two-and-a-half girlfriends. You?"