Chapter 28 - Force Field

"Do we even know where we're running?" Jason shouted, the only way they could communicate at top speeds.

Miles, Lilly, Caspar, and Jason were sprinting at full speed out of the academy and toward the house.

"Yeah," Caspar yelled back. "To the house."

"Thanks, Sherlock," Jason said, starting to pant a little. "But where exactly?"

"It's a locked room in the back," Caspar replied.

They ran around the back of the academy and started toward the entrance of the house, knowing that they probably didn't have much time.

"If it's locked, how do we get in it?" Lilly asked.

"Well if we're right," said Miles. "It won't be locked anymore, because Ms. Lisa will be in there. If it is locked, and no one's in there, then there's no problem in the first place."

Lilly thought about this while running and nodded, seemingly satisfied with this explanation. She probably wished they had more time to think about this and prepare, which Miles understood completely. But if they were right about The Code, they had no time to waste. Necron would supposedly be invading that night, so they didn't have any time to prepare. They would have to step into the unknown and face whatever was meeting them on the other side.

They got to the house and Caspar flung open the door. There was thankfully no one in the lobby area to tell them off for running or slamming the door open or any of the other dozen rules they were probably breaking. They walked down a hallway to a room on the back and stopped by it, readying themselves. Miles and Jason were still panting like dogs from the run, but Lilly had already composed herself and Caspar probably did a run like that twice a day, so Miles did his best to regain his energy. He and Jason were both bent over, panting like dogs, while Lilly and Caspar just waited patiently for them.

Caspar grabbed for the door handle, then completely froze. He looked at Miles and did some military-style hand gestures that Miles couldn't make out the meaning to.

"What is it?" Miles asked, still panting a little and not wanting to decipher hand gestures. "Is it locked or what?"

Caspar shook his head. "No. It's unlocked."

"So what's the problem?" Jason asked, also still panting. He looked like he was the closest Miles had ever seen him to passing out. Some people just aren't hate running and by the look on his face, Jason was one of them.

"I know every door in this house," Caspar said, his eyes flicking back and forth to the three of them as he thought. "I know which ones are locked and unlocked. This door is always locked."

"A teacher is probably in there," Lilly whispered, lowering her voice so whoever might be behind the door couldn't hear them. That was smart. "Preparing to let the other students back in at midnight."

"Or," Miles whispered back, "it's Ms. Lisa, preparing to let Necron in at midnight."

Caspar nodded silently toward Miles to indicate that he was thinking along the same lines.

"Okay," Lilly said. "So what do we do?"

Caspar grinned wide. "We get ready for some fun."

Miles, Jason, and Lilly looked at Caspar like he was crazy.

"What?" Caspar said. "Okay, Miles, let's get ready to punch something. Lilly and Jason, find some way to make yourselves useful."

"Like what?" Lilly asked.

"I don't know," Caspar said, sounded exasperated. "Make something up. Be creative. Ready, Miles?"

Miles nodded and stepped forward beside Caspar, getting ready to comprehend the threat that lay behind the door. He didn't feel fear, which surprised him a little. He was ready. He had prepared for the past several months for moments like these. He knew what to do.