Chapter 15 - Lucid Visions

Miles was back in the marble while room. He was laying in the same bed, but the Chinese man was no longer leaning over him. There was no one in the chair beside his bed, or any of the other beds. The man and woman still stood in the center of the mysterious room, walking toward the back of the room. The man said something to the woman and she stopped following, instead gazing upon the many beds lined up on each side of the room. Miles noticed that there were other figures in the beds. From Miles' point of view, however, they were merely shapes covered in mystery. None of the figures seemed to be moving a muscle, and Miles imitated their slumber, peeking out of his eyes every once and a while. The man—who Miles now noticed was wearing a spotless black suit—approached another man in the back of the room. The other man's back was turned, his face not visible. Miles had not seen the other man, as his suit was white, same as everything else in the room. The two men spoke in hushed whispers.

"How are things coming in here?" began the man in black.

Miles closed his eyes, but still heard the response.

"As expected."

"No delays?"

"None."

"Perfect. It seems this group is getting along quite a bit better than B and the others. This will be crucial for us."

"Us? I thought this wasn't about us."

"You know as well as I that we must be focused on our own good during these times."

"You never used to think that way."

"Difficult times. I need not explain."

"I just sometimes wonder if we really are doing the right thing."

"Don't ask that."

"How can I not? What we're doing here is not exactly—"

The man in black interrupted, raising his voice.

"What we are doing here is for the best! You have to know that, especially now."

"So I keep being told."

"It's not always going to be pretty. Nothing this big ever is."

"Speaking of that—is it time?"

"Yes, it must not be put off for much longer."

There was a long silence and Miles opened his eyes again. The original man he had seen—the man in the black—was gone. The man in the white stood rigid, his back still turned. As if he was waiting for something. But what?

As if in answer to Miles' question, something began to whir to life. It was a small sound that turned into a roar a few seconds later. Then everything was quiet. The man in all white looked down then. It was obvious that he would not enjoy what happened next. Something got close to Miles' head, and he resisted the urge to jump out of the bed. It was two metal rungs, one on each side of his head. They got closer and closer, making Miles shrink back. And then they touched Miles' temples. And then came the pain. Indescribale pain, as if his body was being pulled apart limb by limb. The feeling spread and Miles forgot how to move. Forgot where he was. Forgot everything he once knew. And was left with one thing. Pain.

--

Miles woke up. It was light outside the cabin. No, he thought. That's wrong. It can't be morning. I barely slept!

But it was morning, and Caspar and Kane were already gone. Jason was in the bathroom, making a ruckus while brushing his teeth. Miles groaned and rubbed his eyes. The thought of another day knocked the wind out of him. With the kind of day he had had yesterday, Miles would have been okay if another day didn't come for weeks. Unfortunately that's not how it works. So Miles would have to rely on his wish for a very boring day. His wish was granted. Sure people were looking at Miles differently now—as if he was some sort of saint—but for the most part, the day was very bland. Perfect. Miles could deal with some sideways glances and either looks of approval or confusion.