Chapter 9

Kerri had quit her job a little over two months ago and found a new home for herself and her crew over at 104.7 FM. Things were going extremely well. Her show’s popularity was booming and it had expanded over onto the internet.

Justin had been away in Europe doing TV appearances along with impromptu performances for the fans to help boost sales, which seemed to be working, because anytime Kerri turned on the TV there was always news about how much the UK loved JT.

She could tell that the performances and constantly traveling from one city to the next night after night was starting to take its toll on him. He'd call to talk to her and midway through their routine 'hello and how are you's' he'd dose off.  And even after the tenth  time he'd done it, Kerri would still answer the phone. She knew he'd end up dosing off in the first five minutes, but she didn't care. This was her friend. She wanted to be there for him when he reached out to her. And he did the same. No matter who he was with, or what meeting he was in the middle of, he'd stop to answer her call.

He hadn't been home in months and couldn't wait to get back to the states to take a couple weeks off for some much needed rest. His grandmother's birthday was approaching and wanted to go back home to Tennessee to surprise her on her special day. He asked Kerri to go with him. At first, it was an absolute no, because she didn't want to intrude on his family. But after speaking to his mother on the phone later on that week, she agreed and had Serena and the crew re-play a few of the older shows while she was out of town. She and Mrs. Harless had talked on the phone briefly here and there when Kerri would answer Justin's, and the two of them seemed to have a few laughs, but the two had yet to meet.

"..Why you so nervous?" he looked over at her before giving the driver his mother's address.

"I feel awkward being here, Justin. This is your family. It feels wrong."

"My mom invited you. Not everyone coming to the party's gonna be family, Kerri. Stop trippin' and just relax."

Kerri couldn't help but laugh at how Justin's accent was suddenly more prominent than it had been back home in LA. Kerri looked up at the house as they got out of the car, butterflies forming in her stomach with every passing second.

His family's home was located in an estate-type subdivision twenty miles outside Memphis. It was brick, of a goodly but not ostentatious size, and had a Tudor feel to it, with a neatly manicured front yard. Justin motioned towards the house with his head, "Come on." Kerri followed closely behind him as he entered the house. "Yo, Momma!"

"In here!" a sweet, southern voice called out. Justin took Kerri's bag from her hand and placed it next to his by the front door and tugged her arm to follow him.

Inside, Lynn had done the place up with statues on tables, comfy couches and a few framed photographs of Justin, which he turned face down as they walked through the hallway. He walked into the kitchen where his mother was dicing up tomatoes to put into a salad. He went over and hugged his mother tightly before kissing her on the cheek and wrapping his arm around her shoulder motioning towards Kerri. "Mom, this is Kerri...Kerri, my momma."

"Hi. How are you?" Kerri smiled putting her hand out to shake Lynn's.