Chapter One

"Sy!"

Syden was standing in the middle of the back lot at Warner Brothers Studio, about to take a photo of one of the famous stage signs when she heard the squeal. She looked up from her phone to see her friend Elyssa running towards her into a giant hug. "I'm so excited to see you here! I thought you were still in New York!"

Syden had been working as a personal assistant for an A-List actor for a few years and when the television show he starred in moved to his hometown of New York City, Adam wanted her to come with him. However, she was a west coast girl, born in the Philippines and raised in a sleepy beach town in the bay area. She agreed but gave him a one-year condition. If she didn't like it, she had the option to go back to LA. She had never lived on the East Coast before and wasn't sure she could survive the fast-paced city life so far away from her family. She loved her job and the glamorous lifestyle of living in THE Village, spitting distance to Washington Square Park, but she was tired of always apologizing to people who bumped into her and not being able to surf without taking a 2-hour subway ride. When the time expired on her NY clock, she helped her boss find a new assistant and flew back to Los Angeles without looking back. She feared starting over, but Adam was very grateful for her time with him and promised to help her get a new job. Lucky for her, a close friend of his was producing a big budget feature and thought she would be perfect to help take care of some "high level" actors, so she had a new job as soon as she landed.

"Lyss!! I didn't know you'd be here either!" Elyssa was a costumer on the show that Adam starred in while it was in LA and the pair became fast friends. She had come to visit her in New York, but between both of their busy schedules, didn't have much time to keep in touch. The two separated from each other and continued to gossip.

"New York was fun and exciting, but I really missed my family..."

Elyssa was busy with fittings in the weeks before principal photography, but both promised to catch up over drinks before the madness began. She continued her way towards the costume office and in an instant, Syden was alone with her thoughts again on the studio back lot.

Memories of the first time she had ever been on this lot flooded her brain. It was her first time on any lot that wasn't as a part of the Universal Studios Tram Tour. She and Eric had been friends since they met in drama class at 11 years old and while most people at their age had drifted apart after college and distance, the two of them remained best friends. An accountant out of college and after 4 years, she could feel her soul disappearing with every number she crunched. Eric had been telling her for years that she needed to be in a more creative field so when she finally decided to quit her job, he was elated. He had been starring in his own sitcom for a few years and told her she could visit any time she wanted to. Now that she didn't have a Monday to Friday job, she took him up on the offer. It was that fateful day on stage 17 at the WB lot that she met Adam, who hired her on the spot as his assistant on a new show that he was about to start. That was 5 years ago, and it still felt like it happened yesterday.