Chapter Ten

Henry felt himself belly laugh again. He hadn't laughed like this in years. She was really funny and spoke to him in a disarmingly charming way. He wondered if she knew this about herself or if it was calculated. 

"How did you get into this industry?"

Sy told him about being an accountant out of college, about Eric and Adam then asked "What about you? Did you always want to be an actor? I don't know how you all deal with the limelight, nosey press and memorizing dialogue!"

He chuckled and asked "You really don't know? I thought everyone saw that interview..."

She blushed "I'm sorry, I haven't. I don't really know what you are even talking about." 

Either she was a really good actor herself or really hadn't seen that interview with his film father that had been circulating all over the internet.

"Don't be. I'm just surprised..." he continued to tell her about how he was an extra on a feature that had filmed at his boarding school when he was a teen. He spoke with the lead who gave him some very good advice and coincidentally played his father in the movie that made Henry famous.

"That's amazing! What a small world!" she smiled. "Where did you grow up?"

Wow. She really doesn't know anything about me... that's refreshing. "My family is from a small island in the UK called Jersey. My brothers and I are now all over the world, but my parents still live there." He smiled, "What about yourself?"

"I was born in the Philippines. My mom immigrated us to a tiny town near San Francisco when I was seven. Most of my family still live in the Bay Area, I'm the only one that moved away from home. But... I've never been to the UK. Or Europe, for that matter. I will someday." She quickly changed the subject, "How many brothers do you have?"

"Four knuckleheads... You must visit Europe. Not just the UK, I'm talking France, Spain, Italy..."

Shrugging, "Yeah... I've always wanted to. I just never had the chance. Five boys, huh? Your poor mother... surrounded by boys!" She laughed, "I can only image you how expensive it was to keep you all fed!"

Henry chuckled, "Indeed my poor mother... I think that's why she loves having my sisters-in-law around during the holidays. We also joke that they sent us all to boarding school because it was less expensive than paying for food." Shoving his hands into his pockets, "Tiny town, hmm? How small?"

"It's getting larger now, but up until I was in middle school, we only had one stop light." Scrunching her nose, "A fancy-pants golf resort moved in a few years ago, and with the technology boom in the bay area, more people are moving in. I miss the small-town feeling. It's bizarre seeing fast food chains when I go home to visit, you know?"

"Thankfully Jersey hasn't been tainted yet. But then again, it's an island so mass commerce is a little difficult. Do you go home often?"

"I try to go home as much as I can, especially now that I have a niece and a bunch of nephews. Plus, my Inang is 91, not really sure how many more years we have with her."

Henry had never heard that word before, but he guessed a grandparent.

As if she was reading his mind, "Um... sorry, Inang is essentially grandmother in Tagalog."

"That's ok, I kind of figured. But nice to know that I learned a new word today." He smiled at her; he felt like he could talk to her forever, but they were closing in on the parking garage.

Their alone time was coming to an end and he followed her to her car. "Well Ms. Sara," he said with a wink "I guess I'll see you soon."

She laughed, "I'll be in the office dealing with candle negotiations for what looks like the entire day. Let me know if you need anything!" She opened her arms, got on her tiptoes and said, "I'm a hugger, I hope you don't mind."

He didn't mind at all and hugged her goodbye. The hug was perfect. She was so little, he wanted to pick her up keep her safe. He let her go before it got awkward and walked to the elevator to get back to his car. Henry, get her out of your head. He shook his head, as if that would shake her out. You can't do this. You are one of her new bosses and it would be highly inappropriate. Stop thinking about her. He got into his car and drove home. A nice long run with Kal would help get her out of his head.