Week 2: Thursday Pt. 1

I'm in the restroom at the restaurant making sure my hair and shirt is still intact. The restaurant is about the close and I'm so happy to leave. Tonight has been so long. I feel bad that Violet's table is still here, but I mean they are almost done with their meal. As I walk out of the restroom finally I find Mikey with a cheap smile on his face.

Oh no.

I know what that means, he has sat me a table.

"Tell me you didn't," I demand. "I'm sorry. You know how it goes with Violet already having a table I..." he replies right away, but I interrupt him with, "Yeah. Yeah. Okay whatever I'll take these heartless people I mean do they not know we have less than ten minutes left?" He smiles big and gives me a wink before adding, "That's the spirit Mel." I roll my eyes at him while I walk towards my section.

Before I turn the corner to greet my table I see their faces before they can see me. No. This is not happening. 

I stop dead in my tracks and can feel my breathing start to increase. I don't know how long I have been standing here in shock. But I guess it was long enough for Mikey to get worried and walk towards me. "Melody are you okay?" he asks me while placing his hand on my arm. "No," I barely answer back. "What's wrong? Do you know those people?" he starts to question. I nod my head and barely get out, "That is Jared's mom, two sisters, and cousin sitting there." His grip on my arm tightens and his expression turns to understanding then concern.

At this point I think I'm having an anxiety attack, because anything to do with Jared I've cut out of my life that day two years ago. That's how I moved on with my life and facing them is the same as facing him, because I grew up knowing Jared and his family became a part of that too.

"I'll take their drinks. Mel please sit down before you pass out," Mikey's voice draws my attention back to him. He pulls out a chair for me to sit and I slowly do so. It feels like minutes later do I see someone sit across from me in the corner of my eye. However, when I look back up I see Violet there and not Mikey. "He told me," is the only thing she says right before she moves to the chair next to me and pulls me in for a hug.

"I know what you've been through. I get it. I get why you're freaking out. I was there with you when you found out, remember? But Melody you've done so well moving on. Don't let Jared have control on your life anymore. Don't let him have the power to affect you like this. I need you to look at me," she persists while pulling away and making me face her. She grabs my face and looks me directly in the eyes as she says, "You're strong and I know you can finally bury these demons. Concentrate on your breathing."

I do it. I do it all. I think hard about calming down and eventually I get back to normal. Then I get back up and hug Violet. "Thank you. I don't tell you enough, but you're a pretty amazing person and friend. So, thank you," I tell her as I smooth out my uniform. "Anytime Mel," she voices. Then I take a step towards my section once again while taking a big breath in, then finally walking towards the table.

Before walking in their sight, I briefly pause and catch Mikey's gaze. I can tell he's asking if I'm okay through the locked gaze he's giving me. I nod my head and finally walk out into the open. I don't smile like I normally do at my tables, honestly, I just concentrate on being okay. Keeping my breathing normal. "Melody," Jared's mother, Tanya, gasps while saying my name. "I forgot you worked here," she adds. This gets the attention of Jared's sisters Jenny and Jasmine as well as his cousin Maggie.