Week 2: Saturday

Going into work this morning has me dreading the moment I see the restaurant as I drive up. I didn't work yesterday, with softball practice, so I wasn't in the position of seeing Derek until now. As I wait for Mikey to unlock the door for me I try to push the thought of what seeing Derek will be like to the back of my mind. The back door finally flies open and a happy go-lucky Mikey is standing in front of me.

"What's with you?" I ask while walking past him. "Nice to see you too Mel, but if you must know I'm happy to see you. I knew you were the opening waiter, so I couldn't wait to see your charming face, even if you have that unsettling expression right now," he replies while joining me in my short walk towards the front. "Such a sap," I tell him, although at the end I can't help but smile over the thought of him pleased to see me.

"So, I was wondering if you'd like to go to church with me tomorrow? Like you do every Easter, except it's not Easter," Mikey asks as I'm doing some of the opener duties. I pause for a moment and glance over at him. "What's the catch?" I question before returning to the task I was previously doing. "There is none. Well..." he begins to answer, but I interrupt him with, "Well what?"

Mike gives me a cheap smile while replying, "There's a lunch after church that my parents are holding for my mother's birthday, which is on Tuesday. I wanted to bring you along as my date." This time I actually do stop and put down everything I have in my hands and turn to face him.

"I know I've met your family before, but Mikey for our first time going somewhere on a date you want it to be at your mother's birthday party? That makes me already feel overwhelmed. I mean technically that's having a meal with my bosses, but this time as your date and not just a friend. Can I think it over?" I express while not even trying to hide the worry on my face.

His face noticeably falls, and it make me feel bad knowing he must have really looked forward to this moment. "Okay. I'll go," I blurt out. Then just like that, the smile on his face once again returns as he asks me, "You sure?" I nod and give him a small smile. He quickly places a kiss on my forehead and walks away. A sigh escapes my lips. I hope this won't bite me in the butt.

Minutes before the restaurant opens I take notice Violet has arrived as well. I look at the list of people working today and pause to take in that Derek's name isn't on here. A smile appears on my face as the realization of not seeing him today sets in.

By the time afternoon arrives, I feel bad how I handled things this morning with Mikey. As I finish the food I'm eating on my break I get up and walk over to where Mikey's standing. Nonchalantly I stand next to him and say, "I'm sorry for seeming rude earlier today, I've just had...a lot on my plate these past two days or so." He looks up at me from some papers he was staring at and sets them off to the side before addressing me.

"Don't apologize," are the only words he tells me. "Well I am," I quickly counter. "Well don't Mel. I know what I was asking and don't think I forgot about Thursday night with Jared's family coming in," he expresses while keeping his calm manner the whole time. "Right, about that, I might have face-timed with Jared that night as well," as the words leave my mouth I look away not wanting to see his face change from the calm expression it was. "You what?" he asks rather loudly, getting looks from a couple of the nearby tables.

"Mike calm down please," I remark while giving the people at the tables a cheap smile. "Why am I the one who is freaking out here? What happened?" He harshly whispers. I grab his hand and pull him to his office in the back. Once I shut the door behind us I find him leaning against his desk, clearly waiting for me to answer him now that we're alone.