Out of the dog house? pt. 1

"You!?" Fudge barked/laughed.

"Your what? A sixth year? What chance do you have against a trained lawyer?"

Hermione stood her ground.

"I've studied law since I was six. I think I'll be fine. Never underestimate the brightest witch of her age."

Fudge laughed.

"Fine! Have it your way!"

He sent a small airplane off.

"An Auror will be here shortly to collect your.... Friend."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"He's a convict." He said as if Fudge was stupid. (Which he was)

"He's not a friend."

Fudge laughed.

"Same thing!"

With that the fat man left his own office laughing heartily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

All three of the teens rounded on Hermione.

She had expected this.

Of course they would be mad! She had offered- no- confirmed that she of all people would be their lawyer.

"C'mon 'Mione." Harry said with a now rare smile.

"You've got to brush up on your wizarding law."

Hermione grinned.

"Great! To the bookstore!" She said excitedly, looping her arms with Ginny.

Ron and Harry exchanged bemused looks before they followed the two girls towards flourish and blots.

~~~~~~~~~

Ginny glaced at Harry.

His back hair was messier than usual and his glasses slipped to the ends of his nose.

He was tapping his foot quickly, biting his lip.

They were sitting in flourish and bots, tens of hundreds of law books surrounding them.

Hermione had already gone through half of the books and had a pile the size of a chicken of notes.

"Hey!" Harry exclaimed quietly.

"I think I found something!"

If an individual is sent to prison- for more than 5 years- without a trial of any sort and even a rumour of evidence proving his or her innocence emerges, the case must be reviewed and a trial given.

Hermione grinned.

"Perfect! Denying someone a lawful right can put Fudge in jail for up to six years! Maybe more if we prove that Sirius is innocent!"

Things were finally looking up.

That was, of course, until Molly Weasley marched in with eyes like fire.

"No way are you going to prove Sirius innocence! Your not even of age! Leave this to the adults!" She whisper yelled.

Harry set his lips in a firm line.

"Mrs. Weasley." He began.

"Everything will be fine. If Fudge is going to let us then we will. We have until Christmas. Obviously the dates been extended for the trial, but what's the worst that happens to us? We lose and I get depressed. That's about it."

Molly found her self nodding.

The boy was persuasive.

"Fine." She said stiffly.