A little more at home

My eyes were fixated on the flags hanging upon the walls of the great hall. The grey direwolf sitting proudly on the white background, sitting there as if it was mocking me, taunting me even. Reminding me of a family I didn't belong in, but at the same time, a family I so desperately ached to be apart of.

My eyes left the taunting walls as I glanced across the room to Robb, his eyes lifted and settled on mine. His blue eyes softened and he sent me a warming smile. A smile I had become so familiar with, but not the smile I had come to love. You will learn to love me Violet. His words never leaving the back of my mind, replaying over and over, tormenting me. You have to build it slowly, stone by stone over the years. Only then, will you learn to love another. I had never thought that love could be taught, or earned. Yet, a handsome young man was placed before me, promising me I could learn to love him. It felt wrong. Especially when my heart so tragically belonged to one of another.

I quickly averted my gaze to the white wolf sat beside me, his head nuzzling into my lap. I had never really bonded with an animal before, but with Ghost it was different. Was our bond so strong because we both shared a love for Jon? Or was I just clinging onto something that I knew wouldn't leave me. I placed my hand on his head and ruffled his fur, earning a warm lick from the ever growing wolf.

"He seems to like you," A voice came from beside me snapping me out of my daze. Robb. "Which is surprising, he doesn't like a lot of people."  

"I think by now i've gained his trust." I replied, trying my best to force a smile.

"A hard thing to come by," his voice was soft, but his expression was stern. There was something about his face. He was undoubtedly handsome, that I had noticed before, but this look...I hadn't seen. It was a mix of suspicion and doubt. It caused an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, and a sharp pain in my chest.

"Certainly is my Lord," I pushed the uneasy feelings aside and stood up so I was in front of the man I would soon be calling my husband. "It does seem that I haven't been quite so fair to Greywind, which I apologise for."

"Your apology isn't necessary Violet. He's a one man wolf, dependable and faithful," The last word seeming to linger. Faithful.  Something that I have proven not to be on countless occasions since I first arrived. Something that Robb deserved. A wife that was faithful and dependable.

"I would like to spend more time with him," I glanced to the side of Robb. Greywind standing beside him, head up and ears forward. Ever so close to his master's side. "And you, of course."

Robb let out a low chuckle, "I would like that. You are soon to be my Lady and I feel as though I know nothing about you."

I let out a small out a small laugh, "Though we have all the time in the world, it doesn't seem to be in our favour."

"Would you care to join me for a walk through the grounds?" He asked, a hopeful gleam in his eye. "I have no political arrangements til the morning."

"I would be honoured." As soon as the words left my mouth he graciously extended his arm out for me to take a hold of. I slipped my arm through his and gently placed my hand on his arm. We strolled out of the hall. Instantly feeling the cold wind on my face, I wrapped my pelt around my body, the warm fur hugging me.

"Ghost, go find Jon." The white wolf halted and let out a whine. I knew he liked being beside me while Jon was occupied, but I had to spend this time with Robb, without the lingering reminder of Jon's presence, just for a while. Ghost ran off in the opposite direction while Robb and I continued to walk through the grounds. The snow crunching under my boots, leaving perfect footprints trailing behind me. We had been walking for what seemed like hours, but I knew it wasn't. The uncomfortable silence lingering in the air, I could sense that Robb had something he wanted to say, but chose against it.