Chapter Four

'*'

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. "

-Mark Twain 

        '*'

Her Name is Autumn - Chapter Four

   "So, every class you're in has either Colton or Noah in it too. They only have one class together, besides lunch. We don't have any classes together, but we all have the same lunch period. Remember, you have to get close to them and-"

   "Shut up, Chris." I cut Harvey off, using his cover name as we had just arrived at the new school we were attending, "I know what to do. I know my classes and all of that shit. I read the file."

   "Someone's a little moody." Harvey sang as he slipped out from the car and into the school car park.

   "Am not, you just treat me like a baby." I scowled, following him and removing myself from the passenger side of the silver car. 

   "Well, I mean-"

   I cut him off again, "I know what you're going to say. Stop."

   "Wha-"

   "Stop."

   "C'mo-"

   "No, Chris. Just stop now."

   "C'mon, little sis. I didn't mean it." He said, then surprised me by tugging me into a crushing half-hug and ruffled my now dark brown hair with his hand.

   I pushed him away, frustrated. "Idiot. I'm only ten minutes younger than you. It doesn't count." I lied. Not only were we supposed to be siblings for this case, but twins too. I got the youngest. 

   We walked together towards the front office. Ha- Chris (I needed to stop thinking of him as Harvey or I'd accidentally call him that in front of someone) was attracting a few appreciative glances from the female population, I noticed as we arrived at the door to the office.

   As Chris confidantley pushed the door open, the freezing temperature of the room struck us both. Outside it was still warm, even though it was early spring, and stepping into the room gave me a shock. An elderly lady, the typical school-office-computer-lady with massive eyes and glasses that made them look even bigger, glanced up and grinned at the two of us. 

   "You're the new students! Brooklyn and Chris Adams. I was told you would be arriving today." She quickly sat up, tipping over her chair in her rush. When she heard it crash down to the ground the lady spun so quickly all I saw was the blur of her hideously pink cardigan. Unfortunately for her, as she spun her hand lifted out to her side and knocked over her coffee. Which fell onto her keyboard. 

   I shared an amused glance with Chris as we both tried to smother laughter. 

   When she stood back up, her chair back on four legs, and noticed the coffee spill, a shrill yelp erupted from her mouth. In a panic to fix her computer, she picked up a bunch of important looking papers and slammed them down on the keyboard.

   Chris broke first. His loud laughter filled the room and attracted the attention of the person in a nearby room. A middle-aged man in a suit burst from the door closest to us, and scoped out the scene in front of him- a teenaged boy in stitches from laughing, another teenager standing beside him looking helplessly lost (an act I put on when I saw him enter), and his secretary-lady fumbling around trying to fix whatever she destroyed after trying to repair what she previously broke.

   Behind the man's shoulder I noticed a fimilar face peering into the chaos. Not fimiliar in the way I knew him, but in the way that I had been reading the ins and outs of his life in his government file for the last week.