𝐜.𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

They entered the hospital. Candi walked beside her, holding her hand but Onika felt like she was on auto pilot. Candi and her mom talked during the car ride but Onika couldn't even think of words. All she could think about was seeing Beyonce. What would she do if she had lost her? What if Beyonce had died?

She'd be lost, empty without her.

The last thing she had said to her kept replaying in her head, over and over again.

"Please... please don't just leave me alone, Beyonce."

If Beyonce had died that would have been the last thing she would have heard from Onika. It made her cringe. She was disgusted with herself. Mrs. Wells talked to the woman behind the desk and the woman let them know what recovery room Beyonce was in.

They walked down the hall and every once in a while Candi looked over at Onika and squeezed her hand a bit tighter but said nothing.

They spotted Beyoncé's parents down the hall, both seemed stressed and their faces showed their lack of sleep. They had been here since late last night she could tell. Beyoncé's parents were always busy and they barely spent any time with her but looking at them now Onika could tell they loved their daughter very much.

Mrs. Wells greeted them first, pulling Beyoncé's mother into a hug. She knew they weren't friends but apparently all mothers shared some kind of bond when it came to their children. They had to be there for each other when a child was involved. Onika watched as Mrs. Wells asked them if they were doing alright and if they needed anything. When Beyoncé's mother was done talking to her, her eyes fell on Onika who she pulled into a hug next. Onika sighed as she returned the hug, breathing her scent. It was a smell that also lingered on Beyonce under her perfume. The simple smell of coconut. It was comforting to her.

"Thank you so much for coming, Onika." She said once they pulled away and she rubbed Onika's arms as she smiled down at her. She smiled at Candi as well and reached over to touch her shoulder.

Candi smiled back with a small nod of her head. "We were going to wait awhile before calling friends but when she woke up a little while ago her first word was 'Onika'. I just thought it'd put her more at ease if you were here."

"Of course." Onika whispered, her voice sounded so small. She looked over to the closed door and Onika's mom followed her eyes.

"The doctors are in with her now. They've been checking on her periodically. We should be able to go back in, in a few minutes." She nodded her head as she pulled her eyes away from the door to look over at Beyoncé's mother once more.

"What happened?"

Mrs. Wells frowned before sighing. "The girl has a real speeding problem." She started and Onika immediately frowned because she had told Beyonce so many times to slow down. "They think she was on her way home and she just sped through a red light, never saw the car coming until it was too late. She was T-boned. She fractured her collar bone, sprained her left wrist and got a concussion with some minor cuts and bruises. They said she got off very lucky with just that."

"This is my fault." Onika whispered.

"Onika." Candi said as she placed her hand on her back, shaking her head.

"She was upset with me. She always drives fast when she's upset and I made her like that this time. It was my fault she was driving fast." She said as she looked at Candi who was shaking her head in disagreement but Onika nodded anyways.

"This is no one's fault but her own." Mr. Knowles finally spoke and they all looked at him. "I've told her time and time again about her reckless driving. Maybe this time she'll finally listen." He reached up to rub at the bridge of his nose while closing his eyes tightly. "She shouldn't let her emotions drive every time she gets behind a wheel."