4. On and On and On

(Background music: The King Has Lost His Crown – instrumental)

Back in the past, at nightfall, Ruby and her friends Linda, Diana, Barbara and Sally ran away from the window without waking up their bosses and went to a near bar. Once arrived, everybody settled at a table next to the band that was playing.

(Background song: Rock Me - played by the band)

LINDA - Girls, let's raise a toast to our "party spark"!

RUBY'S FRIENDS - Happy Birthday Ruby!

YOUNG RUBY - Thank you girls for this amazing surprise! I really needed it after that long and tiresome day...

Later, Ruby headed towards the bar in order to get some drinks. Sitting next to the bar, a forty-year-old man wearing a tuxedo and a hat was smoking a big cigar. His name was Bennett Wilson. Forthwith, he started complaining about the band that was playing.

BENNETT WILSON (to the bartender) - What an awful noise! How on earth did these amateurs get hired to entertain us while all they do is make my ears bleed?

Disturbed by this cruel critic, Ruby decided to reply.

YOUNG RUBY - I beg your pardon sir; you're being a little hard on them. I think they're a great band. In fact, they totally rock!

BENNETT WILSON – You think so? I suppose you've never been to the States... Elvis Presley is the only one who can really "rock" as you say.

YOUNG RUBY – But...

BENNETT WILSON – That's the problem with you British people, you take our holy creation that is rock'n'roll and trying to make it yours, you destroy it.  Your amateur rock can't even compete with Americans. Leave it to us, sweetie. British music is history and will only go downhill in the following years.

YOUNG RUBY – Oh, really? And who are you to talk about impending doom?

BENNETT WILSON (looking wary) - Well, I'm a business man and you could say I'm really influential in this domain.

Wilson took off his hat revealing his face to Ruby who got all shocked.

YOUNG RUBY – Oh my goodness, you're Bennett Wilson! I've seen your face on every newspaper, your record company is one of the most successful ones in the States!

BENNETT WILSON – That's right.

Suddenly, Ruby came back to her senses.

YOUNG RUBY – Anyways Mr. Wilson, whoever you are, I thus permit myself to respond that I disagree with your statement. British people know perfectly how to rock and I can prove it to you.

BENNETT WILSON – Fine, show me what you're capable of. Keep on rocking baby till the night is gone!

The conversation got interrupted by the bartender who had prepared Ruby's drinks. Thus, she came back all annoyed to her friends' table leaving Mr. Wilson with a proud smile on his face.

YOUNG RUBY (to her friends) – Girls, see that man sitting on the bar there?

BARBARA - Wait, is that Bennett Wilson?!

DIANA - The man you're always talking about?

YOUNG RUBY – Yes, the record company head. I just had a chat with him and guess what? He thinks that British people can't rock!

SALLY - Bastard.

YOUNG RUBY – You said it! Oh how I wish I could get on this stage and show him what's true British rock...

LINDA - Well, your wish might become true.

YOUNG RUBY – What do you mean?

The band had just finished playing and everybody applauded them. Suddenly, the band's singer made an announcement.

THE SINGER – Thank you all! Tonight is a special night for one of customers. Ruby Sheridan?

All eyes got rived on her.

THE SINGER – Happy Birthday Ruby! Your friends have decided to offer you a one of a kind present. Would you do us the honour of joining us on stage to perform something?

YOUNG RUBY – Oh my god girls, how many surprises did you prepare?! You're the best!

BARBARA - Come on, what are you waiting for?

SALLY - Show that snobby what our music is all about!

DIANA - Yeah, make us proud!

Everybody applauded Ruby as she got on stage.

(Song: On And On And On) (in a 'Beach Boys' style, similar to their song "Do It Again")

YOUNG RUBY - I was at a party and this fellow said to me
"Something bad is happening, I'm sure you do agree
People care for nothing, no respect for human rights
Evil times are coming, we are in for darker nights"
I said, "Who are you to talk about impending doom?"
He got kinda wary as he looked around the room
He said, "I'm a businessman, a big shot in the States"
I said, "I just can't believe it, boy I think it's great
Brother let me show you that I'm right and you are wrong"
He said, "Keep on rocking baby, 'til the night is gone"
On and on and on
Keep on rocking baby
'Til the night is gone
On and on and on
'Til the night is gone
On and on and on
Keep on rocking baby
'Til the night is gone
On and on and on
'Til the night is gone

Ruby got off the stage jumping into the crowd. Many guys approached her as she was miming the lyrics.

YOUNG RUBY - Over in the corner I could see this other guy
He was kinda flirty, he was giving me the eye
So I took advantage of the fact that I'm a star
Shook my hair and took a casual stroll up to the bar
And as sure as hell this guy was coming up to me
He said, "Who am I and who are you and who are we
What's our situation, do we have some time for us?"
I said I was not exactly waiting for the bus
He said, "If you're going somewhere can I come along?"
I said, "Keep on rocking baby, 'til the night is gone"

Everybody began to dance giving a great musical number with Ruby at the center.

YOUNG RUBY - On and on and on
Keep on rocking baby
'Til the night is gone
On and on and on
'Til the night is gone
On and on and on
Keep on rocking baby
'Til the night is gone
On and on and on
'Til the night is gone

When Ruby finished singing, she came back to her friends' table while everybody was applauding her. Suddenly, Bennett Wilson approached her.

BENNETT WILSON – Miss Sheridan, that was really impressive.

YOUNG RUBY – Mr. Wilson, you flatter me. Didn't you say that British people couldn't rock?

BENNETT WILSON – Well, I must admit you proved me wrong. You sure know how to rock. Listen Ruby, you have a great potential and my label is searching for people like you. We could achieve great things together. Here's my card if you're interested.

Ruby couldn't believe her eyes, not only she could change his mind, but he was also offering a music career: that was all she ever dreamed of.

YOUNG RUBY (taking the card) – Oh sir! I really don't know what to say... Thank you, it's an honor.

BENNETT WILSON – Think about it well.

After saying these words, Mr. Wilson left the bar, leaving Ruby lost in her thoughts. This was a once in a lifetime chance but, should she seize it?