26. Happy New Year

As the clock from Donna's room was still sounding, we transit from it to the giant clock of the party in the present, which was indicating nearly midnight. Bobby was on his own, thinking about the plan and its consequences. He thought of Sophie, the sister he never had. In the bottom of his heart, he knew she was a loving and big-hearted person who didn't deserve all the misfortune she was undergoing because of himself and his brother. He thought of all the shame he would read in his father's eyes when the truth was going to come out.

JOE – Come on bro! You don't want to miss the countdown. Don't pull a face like that, rejoice! Soon, everybody will know the truth. Look at our precious sister, sitting all alone on the verge of tears. The time has come to achieve our revenge.

Bobby didn't answer; he was still confused by all the events and was beginning to think that the best was to stop all this farce and say what truly happened to Sky. Forthwith, everybody gathered around the giant clock waiting for the countdown.

SAM – Come on everybody! It's almost midnight!

Sophie didn't approach. Far from the crowd, she was staring at all these happy couples reunited hand in hand to begin this New Year. Then, she looked at Sky. Just like her, he was sitting on his own. She wanted to run towards him and jump in his arms but within her, she knew that it was impossible. As the countdown was almost over, she would have liked to go back in time.

(Song: Happy New Year)

SOPHIENo more champagne
And the fireworks are through
Here we are, me and you
Feeling lost and feeling blue
It's the end of the party
And the morning seems so grey
So unlike yesterday
Now's the time for us to say

EVERYBODY – 3...2...1...
Happy New Year
Happy New Year
May we all have a vision now and then
Of a world where every neighbor is a friend
Happy New Year
Happy New Year
May we all have our hopes, our will to try
If we don't we might as well lay down and die
You and I

While everybody was hugging, Sophie left the party crying. Bobby, who had seen everything, felt terribly guilty. Forthwith, Joe made a hand gesture indicating to his brother that it was time to reveal the truth to all the invitees. Nodding, Bobby stood up and walked towards the stage. Henceforth, he knew what he had to do.

BOBBY – Good evening everybody and Happy New Year.

Hearing Bobby's voice from the microphone, everybody gathered around the stage, even a confused Sophie who was watching from behind.

BOBBY – Tonight, I'm standing in front of you with the goal of opening your eyes on a tragic injustice.

JOE – I'm so proud of you bro!

BOBBY – And I'm sorry to announce you that the heads behind this injustice are in fact my brother and I.

Everybody, particularly Sophie, Sky and Sam, got astonished by this announcement but no one had understood what Bobby meant.

JOE – Oh my god, I can't believe it! What is he doing?!

Furious, Joe ran towards the stage and caught the microphone from his brother's hands.

JOE – Don't pay attention to what he has said... and let me present you Sophie's real father!

Joe was about to open the envelope in front of everything when Bobby caught it just on time. Suddenly, Sam lost his temper.

SAM – Robert! Joseph! Don't you feel ashamed?! Stop this childish behavior right now!

JOE – You're right dad! Go on! Scold us just like when we were kids! Go on as an exemplar father! No one would ever suspect that you had left behind your sons, marrying an old lover without our approbation and living on this stupid island next to a girl who might even not be your daughter! At least, she is getting what she deserves right now...