7. Soldiers

Mexico, 1959
The country was witnessing a conflict with its southern neighbor, Guatemala. One man from each family had to be chosen in order to join the local army and fight for their homeland's freedom. All the Mexican borders had been closed as a precaution and no one had the right to leave the country as long as the war was raging. Among the soldiers, a young man named Fernando Cienfuegos was preparing himself for the morning military march when he suddenly heard the sound of a distant cannon.

(Song: Soldiers)

YOUNG FERNANDO - Do I hear what I think I'm hearing? 
Do I see the signs I think I see?   
Or is this just a fantasy?                          
Is it true that the beast is waking
Stirring in his restless sleep tonight
In the pale moonlight?
In the grip of this cold December
You and I have reason to remember

As the soldiers were walking in line, they sang together the chorus as a war song.

THE SOLDIERS - Soldiers write the songs and soldiers sing
The songs that you and I don't sing
They blow their horns and march along
They drum their drums and look so strong
You'd think that nothing in the world was wrong
Soldiers write the songs that soldiers sing
The songs that you and I won't sing
Let's not look the other way
Taking a chance
Cause if the bugler starts to play
We too must dance

Up in the sky, Ruby's plane was flying over this Mexican war theatre towards the American border when suddenly a second noise of cannon sounded. Hearing it, Ruby got anxious.

YOUNG RUBY - What's that sound, what's that dreadful rumble?
Won't somebody tell me what I hear
In the distance, but drawing near?
Is it only a storm approaching?
All that thunder and the blinding light
In the winter night
In the grip of this cold December
You and I have reason to remember

The instrumental music continued playing and all of a sudden, a huge noise sounded: the plane was hit and immediately engaged into a free fall. All the passengers, including Ruby, got up frantically from their seats screaming in fear. The pilot retook control of the aircraft ordering an emergency landing in Mexican lands. 

As the plane touched down, the soldiers who had seen the complete scene hastened into the vehicle the help the passengers who was miraculously all safe and sound. While Fernando was guiding the survivors to the exit, he beheld Ruby: it was love at first sight for both of them.