29. The Way Old Friends Do

Back in the present, several weeks after the New Year party, Donny was back at Donna's tomb, wearing a tuxedo. He was reading the end of Ruby's book to his grandmother.

DONNY (reading) – When I knew that my daughter got pregnant, I told her not to bother coming back. Well, you can't say I was an exemplary mother. All I wanted was to follow my dreams while keeping my Donna away from the selfish world of show business. Being a single mother isn't easy, and I didn't want her to live all the difficulties I had to face. Today, the past is behind me, and Donna is gone... No time for regrets surely, but I think it's never too late to fix his own faults. Today, after realizing everything my daughter had achieved during her short life, I found back the love of my life, Fernando and my granddaughter Sophie, deciding to fill amply my role of grandmother... and of great-grandmother! Donna was right: the best things in life, the very best things happen unexpectedly!

Then, he turned the page, revealing the last one where he could read: "To my great-grandson, Donny". Forthwith, Donny closed the book happily, realizing that Ruby wrote the book for him, to teach him how to face the difficulties of life by learning from her own faults. Suddenly, someone came running towards Donna's tomb: it was Samantha who was wearing an elegant white dress.

SAMANTHA – Donny! I knew I was going to find you here... What are you doing?

DONNY – I was just telling the end of the story to grandma. By the way, I think it's time to present you to her. Grandma, this is Samantha, the girl I've told you a lot about.

SAMANTHA – Hello Mrs Donna! I'm really honored of finally meeting you.

SOPHIE (shouting) – Donny! Samantha! Come on, it's time!

DONNY – That's mom! The wedding is about to begin. You know, you're invited too grandma don't you?

The children rushed to the chapel where everybody had already gathered around the altar, waiting for the bride entrance. Harry was sitting next to Petros, who was back to Kalokairi while Joe was sitting next to a Greek girl he had met on the island. Suddenly, Ruby, Rosie and Tanya entered the church with each one of them wearing a beautiful white dress. From the other side, Fernando, Bill and Raphael were looking proudly at them.

(Music: I do I do I do I do I do – instrumental)

THE PRIEST - Welcome to Ruby and Fernando, Rosie and Bill, Tanya and Raphael and to all your friends who have gathered together this evening. We are all here together in this glory...

Suddenly, a late invitee appeared silently from behind the church's benches. No one seemed to notice the arrival of this blonde lady, no one except Donny who had been waiting for her: it was Donna (played by Meryl Streep). She came to assist to the weddings of her best friends and of her parents. Donny smiled at her.

THE PRIEST – I now pronounce you men and wives!

While the newly married couples were kissing, everybody applauded them. Thus, Donna knew that it was time for her to return from where she came. Suddenly, Ruby turned back and saw Donna quitting the church.

RUBY – No Donna! Wait!

She ran after her, but when she got outside the chapel, Donna had been already gone. Forthwith, Ruby rushed to the graveyard, running towards Donna's tomb.

RUBY –You have all the rights for not wanting to show me your face; I don't think you'd ever forgive me for what I've done to you... No one would ever want a mother like me.

All of a sudden, Ruby felt the presence of someone from behind her. Turning back, she saw Donna, approaching while smiling at her.

(Song: The Way Old Friends Do)

DONNA - You and I can share the silence
Finding comfort together
The way old friends do

RUBY - And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do

DONNA & RUBY - Times of joy and times of sorrow
We will always see it through
Oh, I don't care what comes tomorrow
We can face it together
The way old friends do

Suddenly, everyone appeared from behind. They had followed Ruby to the graveyard, meeting surprisingly with Donna. Thus, she sang one last song all together.

EVERYBODY - You and I can share the silence
Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do

All teary, Donna hugged her beloved dynamos and her former lovers Bill and Harry, she kissed her husband and the love of her life Sam, Fernando, the father she never had, her grandson Donny, and of course, the apple of her eye, her only daughter Sophie.

EVERYBODY - Times of joy and times of sorrow
We will always see it through
Oh I don't care what comes tomorrow
We can face it together
The way old friends do

DONNA - We can face it together
The way old friends do

Donna had returned to Kalokairi one last time with a goal to achieve. She finally forgave her mother for being neglective about her during her whole life which proves that the love between a mother and her daughter is stronger than death. And especially, she shared an ultimate moment with her family and friends by saying one last goodbye to her beloved ones. Her mission was now completed. Thus, she disappeared.

As you might have already guessed, this emotional moment was only a figment of Donny's imagination. That being said, Donna's spirit was indeed present, watching over her beloved family and everyone could feel it. This scene was just the way Donny imagined it.