VIII • Little Bird

"Where are we going?" Alec glanced at me before walking down the crosswalk. I looked both ways and ran across, following him. "Alec," I stated, not liking the fact that he was ignoring me.

On the other side of the street, he finally stopped and turned to me. "Magnus apparently needs your powerful Shadowhunter energy." My brows raised in confusion and my face scrunched up.

"What in the hell is that?" He rolled his eyes.

"Why would I know? We have angel blood in us, it has strong energy." He seemed agitated but I assumed it was from everyone expecting so much from him. We continued into the building that Magnus lived in and rode the elevator up. I wasn't expecting much, I wasn't even sure why he needed it. I was certainly not the only Shadowhunter he knew but something told me it wasn't just my angelic energy.

But it scared me.

The last thing Valentine needed was a Shadowhunter with special powers. I still didn't know how I had them.

"What's wrong? You're quiet." Alec stared at my shuffling feet and my hands rubbing against one another. My heart was beating fast at the unknown.

"I-I'm fine. Let's just get this over with." The elevator opened and we hurried to the doors of his loft before I slammed them open and found Magnus immediately; running past the redhead.

I ran over to the warlock before sitting behind him as he fell over. He was panting, out of breath, and the entire room was shaking. The blue smoke from his hands was entrancing, just like my purple magic. "Help me." He told me. I held out my hand for him to take, which he did. "I need your strength."

"Take what you need, Magnus." I looked over at Alec, "help me get him up!" I called out over the loud noise reverberating throughout the apartment. He came over quickly, helping me push Magnus back up and he stepped back. I could feel my magic pulsing through me, loving the fact that someone was using its energy. I could feel my eyes change, and I quickly closed them. No one could see this side of me just yet.

"Clary!" A voice called out behind me but I couldn't pay attention to the voices. The werewolf was groaning in front of us as Magnus squeezed my hand tighter, taking the energy he needed. I didn't mind it, it's not like it was painful. Just, tiring in a way. I opened my eyes, taking note of my purple magic blending with his blue to make bright indigo. I had hoped that he, nor anyone else for that matter, hadn't noticed the subtle change in color.

But now I understood why Magnus needed me. Since the moment I met him, he knew. He's a warlock— the high warlock of Brooklyn. Of course, he could feel my magic. I was stupid to think otherwise.

Clary rushed over, feeding the magic concoction to Luke. The rumbling stopped and sunlight entered the room once again. Magnus fell back again in exhaustion, Alec this time behind us to catch him from knocking me over too. "You two okay?" Alec asked us. I finally felt my eyes return to their natural color and I looked at him, nodding.

After helping Magnus up off the floor, Alec grabbed my hand to help me up too and set me on the chair next to us.

After the whole ordeal, I was hanging back after helping Luke into a bedroom when the other three Shadowhunters left the room.

"You look so familiar. What is your name?" The dark-skinned man asked me after I helped Magnus wrap him in bandages. I smiled at him.

"Bianca Herondale." I held out my hand for a handshake, which he took with a smile as well. The man seemed really nice, and I was almost envious of Clary for getting to grow up with such good people.

Recognition crossed his features. "You're Celine's daughter," I nodded and my eyebrows raised in confusion.

"You knew my mother?" He let out a soft laugh.