XI • Follow Your Heart?

Lydia walked forward, past me, Max, and Alec. "Maryse." Her fake peppy attitude greeted the mother Lightwood as her and Isabelle walked into the Ops center. "The Clave has ordered me to take temporary control of this Institute." I glanced at Alec as we made eye contact. He shrugged his shoulder at me and we focused back in on Lydia studying monitors.

"Wait a minute. Nobody informed us." She hurried down the steps.

With more attitude, Lydia turned to the woman, "The Clave doesn't need to. And, to repeat myself, it's temporary." She walked towards a bigger screen before tapping a few things on there with her stele. "Nothing's been decided yet. But, I do need full clearance in order to assess how this Institute is running. Where is Clary Fairchild?" She asked Alec as if she just remembered to ask about the redhead.

Alec just looked at Izzy and his mother. I figured it would be wise to not speak unless spoken too at this moment and let the Lightwoods handle the situation. Everyone's arms were crossed and even without my magic, I could sense the tension in the room. "I would hope someone here knows."

"She's in the field, training." Aldc finally spoke. Lydia looked at him before slowly walking closer.

"You're telling me she's just... out and about in the streets of New York? Valentine's daughter?" The raven-haired man broke his eye contact with the blonde and looked at his mother.

But, Izzy spoke first. "Isn't she also your cousin?" Her arms were still crossed, the silver snake whip wrapped around her wrist. Everyone looked at her now as Lydia turned to reply.

"Distant cousin."

"She's with Jace," I decided to break the tension. Her blue eyes met my matching ones with snark. I tried hard to not get sassy or shift from one foot to the other. But, my hands were behind my back and I remained calm with a stoic look.

"The same Jace Wayland who decided to lead an unsanctioned raid against the vampires? I've read the reports."

Finally, Maryse spoke. "Jace may be unconventional, but he's our best soldier." Lydia walked away from them as she spoke but she followed swiftly. "If she's with Jace, then she's in good hands."

"I hope so," Lydia turned, "And for your sake, all of New York. All of your jurisdiction better be well protected." She remained staring at everything in front of her. I couldn't believe the Clave sent someone here who thought they'd do a better job than the Lightwoods.

✧ ✧ ✧

I had a few of my knives on me, wanting to practice throwing them more, as I made my way to meet Alec in the workout room of the building.

A few people had greeted me as I walked by them and I tried to remain smiling. I wasn't a bad guy and I was glad that some of the Shadowhunters here knew that.

But it didn't help the loneliness I had been feeling since I was a little girl. I had no parents but I was trying to be fearless— with most things. It was hard, though. Trying to remain optimistic when I still haven't met my grandmother and no true home. But I forced myself to remain hopeful, for a new life and family, for catching Valentine and putting a stop to his antics, and for so much more.

I made my way to the open doors but stopped as I saw Magnus and Alec speaking.

"...It should go to the head of the Institute." Alec told him and she assumed it was the preliminary findings from him and Izzy.

"And it is."

"No, I'm not and I never will be." I hid from view as I listened in. Alec sighed, "Magnus, it's like. It's like my whole life... has been a lie. Now, everything I've ever known is..." He couldn't find his words when Magnus cut in.