XVI • War of Hearts

I was in more professional looking clothing because of the trial, so I was glad this was how I was meeting her

I was in more professional looking clothing because of the trial, so I was glad this was how I was meeting her. My hair was pulled into a tight low bun and Alec walked me to my grandmother's office door. I took a deep breath before turning to look at him. "I don't want to do this, I changed my mind." I started to walk away when he lightly grabbed me.

"Trust me, you are gonna want to do this. If you don't speak with her, she'll either speak with you or you won't have the chance for a while." I could feel his warmth even from the distance we were standing. His deep voice soothed my soul and I stared into his eyes as he spoke more. "You are Bianca Herondale and you deserve to know your grandmother." He repeated my words back to me and I smiled at him before lightly shoving him.

"That's not fair." He shrugged before tapping on the door with his knuckle, making my eyes wide, and rushed off before I could stop him. "Alec! Damn you." She yelled in more so a whisper so her grandmother couldn't hear her. But she did hear Alec's light laugh as he sped off and around a corner.

"Come in!" The voice called out, and I recognized it as hers.

Alec was right. I deserve this. I wrapped my hand around the doorknob before pushing it open and popping my head through. "Inquisitor?" My voice asked. She looked up and noticed me before I fully walked in, shut the door, and stood in front of her desk. "My name is B-"

"Bianca Herondale. They told me you were alive. I wasn't sure I believed it until I saw you at the trial." She stood from her chair. Her voice wasn't happy nor angry, so I wasn't sure what she was feeling. But, I wasn't surprised. I read about her a lot in my mother's journals. She walked closer to me before looking me up and down. "I can't say I'm not surprised, because, well. When you're told that the mother of your grandchildren and grandchildren were mauled by wolves, all you do is mourn and want to always think it isn't true." She stopped walking. "I heard Valentine Morgenstern kidnapped you."

The memory brought a tear to my eye and it slipped down as I blinked. "I want to say you aren't true. I want to believe that you're here to fool us all and try to get the Cup for Valentine. And I want to say that you are not my granddaughter because, child, it tears open wounds that still haven't completely healed." Another tear. Her face then dropped from the blank look into a softer one. "But, looking at your face, your eyes, your hair, and everything else about you. I know exactly who you are. You look... just like your mother, with your father's eyes." I don't know what I expected, but a hug from the woman was not it.

Her arms wrapped around me. I froze on the spot.

I had heard a lot of stories about this woman, and her being this loving grandmother wasn't what I anticipated. But, it was something I had. Something that was mine- family. Something Valentine couldn't take away from me.

I wrapped my arms around her.

The thing about Imogen Herondale was the fact that she was a woman who didn't exactly approve of my mother being with her son, someone who has been hard on people and the law ever since she lost her entire family. You couldn't truly blame her for how strict she has been. My mother spoke about how nice Imogen was in her journals. Sure, she didn't approve of Celine being with Stephen, but she didn't hate the girl. She accepted them and she loved her son and his children until they were all ripped away from her.