A new world

It was dark. The midnight sky sparkled with stars as crickets chirped a quiet tune. But it wasn’t dark enough for zipper as he ran across a quiet street. He was a opossum who lived in an neighborhood where trash bags are laying around. He licked his lips and quickly ran to a bag. He tugged at the bag’s surface trying to open it. Finally the trash slipped out and filthy fumes of dump filled the air. He searched around it finding remains of apples,hamburger meat with a hints of ketchup and others he couldn’t have identified because of the slob. He eyed a few pieces of pizza crust and empty toothpaste bottles. He grabbed them with his jaws and ran off with them.

Zipper wasn’t your normal opossum. He really enjoyed making an inventing new things. With the trash he has collected he reuses it into a new type of object. He headed on a bridge where cars ran across the highway. He tried to keep out of the way so he wouldn’t end up like randy. Poor randy the young fox kit hadn’t of know better to run in front of a moving truck in oak park. The memories of him spun around in his head as he walked. He finally arrived to the Ally way where he lived.

He yawned as he yanked on a lever that turned on a homemade lamp he created. He was Inside the crack of an abandoned hospital which was explored by humans frequently for recording videos. The humans though get too scared to go any further. He placed the items he had collected from the trash onto a doll sized table. He nibbled on the crust of the pizza as he tinkered with the toothpaste bottles. This is when he heard a noise. He paused and looked over his shoulder to nothing but fallen wooden planks and a pitch black shade. He walked towards the dark black hopping around wooden planks and a tiled floor slowly. “Wherever you are come out you coward!” He growled loudly as he continued down a hall of flickering lights above him. A figure was ahead of him. He paused as he noticed it was another opossum.

He gasped as it turned to him and ran into the door squeaking something that zipper couldn’t decipher. “Oh my did I scare you I’m sorry!” He yelled chasing them through the doors and down some stairs. He would never go this far down because that’s where humans usually roam. They would head down another hallway but strangely the other opossum turned towards his direction. Zipper had paused maybe they would let them talk. But instead the other opossum charged towards zipper with their teeth snarling and hissing. Zipper’s back had hit the ground as it was pinned by the other opossum. Biting and scratching at each other the opossums fought until zipper finally was able to throw the other opossum to the wall. Zipper growled and walked closer to the struggling rodent.

“You really put up a fight for a rogue.” The opossum finally spoke in a feminine tone. “Rogue?” He said puzzled. “That’s what we call others who don’t live in the colony.” She continued. “There’s a colony?!” Zipper gasped the fact that there was a group of other opossums living here without him knowing was pretty shocking. “Are you from around here?” The female asked. “Well I lived here for about 2 months.” Zipper replied. “Ah nice to meet you they call me Zira.” She smiled. Zipper replied with a smile that then turned into a frown as he watched her limp to him. “I’m s-“ “no no it’s ok it’s me that should be sorry.” She cut him off. “So are you an explorer or something?” Zipper circled around her. “Well I like to call myself a wanderer since I like going away without anyone’s notice.” She chuckled. “Neat.” He stopped to look at her tail where there was a wound from him.

“Wanna come meet my colony I’m sure they would love you!” Zira turned to him and brightly smiled. “Well uh.” Zipper thoughts about this offer zoomed in his mind. “I guess a peek wouldn’t hurt.” He watched Zira hop and twirl in joy. “Come on let’s go!” Zira ran past him and into a door. Zipper followed behind her imagining on what the place would look like. As they passed by a patient bed a huge creature looked over them stared down from it. Zipper gulped this thing might be a guard. Zira had entered a hole that led into the colony she had spoke of.