Chapter One

/Flash/

Short Story Series

Story One

Date: May 23, 2018

Time: 12:00 PM

"We ran until we saw the light coming through the door. I was weak and my eyes kept closing not because I was blinking, but because I was trying to black out. It was like a camera flash. I ignored the pain in my body and kept going. We made it outside and the hot sun warmed my body. I heard screaming from multiple people and I saw lights flashing from what looked like cop cars. Before I could see my surroundings and where I have been for the past weeks, I blacked out. Everything was dark, like all the time I spent here."

"Camera...check, extra battery...check, lenses and tripod... check check. Wow, I should really stop talking to myself."

I packed all my camera accessories and headed out to my car making sure to grab my keys and lock my door behind me. I was headed to my favorite neighborhood to take pictures for a project I was working on about gentrification. It was the perfect scenery. What most people would call the hood was starting to be taken over by cafes, restaurants, and office buildings. It was sadly beautiful.

As I was driving I got a call from my best friend Riley probably calling me to see what I was doing later on.

"What do you want..." I answered.

"Wow. Now just disrespect me like that" he fake cried.

"You know I love you Ri!".

"Yeah whatever... But what are you doing around five o'clock".

"I'll probably be editing pictures for my project... Why?".

"Let's see a movie or something! I'm bored and I miss you!" he exclaimed.

I took a moment to think about it. Do I have time for a movie today? I really need to get this project done for class next week, but I miss my bestie so why not.

"I guess we can see a movie... But hey, I'll call you back I just made it to 2nd Avenue for my shoot".

"Okay! See you later Kai!" Riley yelled practically blowing my ear off.

"Loud Much... See you later weirdo" I hung up and laughed quietly to myself.

I turned my car off and grabbed my equipment from the back seat. I set up my camera in my car and put any necessities I may need in my tattered bookbag. Trust me, it's best you put any expensive looking things away in a hiding place from thieves or the homeless. I'm kinda known around these parts of town so no one dares to mess with me.

I got out of my car and locked the door. My eyes immediately caught the sight of a nice modern looking cafe being built next to a home very old but, still standing. It was the perfect shot as the old women who owned the house stood looking up at the half built building. After taking the shot, I looked at it making sure the focus and lighting were okay, and it was. I walked around taking shots of street corners, graffiti, houses, children, morals, and a block party that happened to be taking place.

I then crossed the street and stood looking into an alleyway. Another perfect shot captured by my eyes. The buildings on both sides where symmetrical and the focal point of the shot was the city in the background that seemed to end with the alley. I took a few shots and then took out my phone to see what time it was. It was just turning three-thirty, I decided to head back home so I wouldn't be late for the movies. I turned around and headed back down the block where I started. Before I got too far I heard a scream and not just any scream. It was a scream of terror and fear, so I quickly turned around to see where it came from, but there was no sign of harm.