Chapter 1

Sokka smiled when he saw the city of the Southern Water tribe rising before him. He pulled his canoe to the snowy shore, hefting a damp bag full of fish over his shoulder. The snow crunched under his feet as he walked towards the gates.

Since the war ended three and a half years ago, the gates were always open. The Water Tribe welcomed any and every visitor. However, Sokka stopped in his tracks when he saw a young man standing before the open gates, staring into the city. He wore yellow and orange robes, held a tall staff in his hand, and was completely bald.

Sokka dropped his bag, sending dead fish sprawling over the snow. The sound caught the young man's attention and he turned around quickly. "Hey Sokka," he said quietly, giving him a small wave. Sokka stared at him, eyes wide and mouth hanging open slightly. "Aang?" Sokka asked at last. "You've...Grown." Sokka stepped towards the young avatar. Surely enough, Aang was nearly as tall as Sokka. He had lost his boyish features and had it replaced with a handsome face. "So have you," replied Aang.

"How've you been?" Sokka asked cooly. "Haven't seen you in a while. Three years and five months actually." Aang looked down uncomfortably. "Look, about that, I'm really-" Aang didn't finish his sentence because Sokka sent him sprawling to the ground with a cruel uppercut to the jaw. "I guess I deserved that," muttered Aang, rubbing his jaw.

"Where the hell have you been Aang?" asked Sokka who had his arms crossed. "You were gone when we woke up. You didn't leave a note."
"I've been visiting the Earth Kingdom," replied Aang standing up. "How's Katara?" asked Aang softly. "Is she engaged?"
"She hasn't been the same since you left her," replied Sokka cooly. Aang stood there in silence. "I never meant to hurt her," said Aang sadly.
"She's broken, Aang. She hasn't smiled since you left. She still loves you, Aang.  Even after all the crap, you made her go through." said Sokka. His face softened as he spoke each word.

"Practically every man proposed to her. She turned every one of them down. Gran Gran was mad at her for a while. But she knew why Katara turned them down," said Sokka. "It wasn't over for her, Aang. You may have ended it with Katara, but for her, it wasn't over."
"I'm sorry," said Aang. "I never wanted to hurt her. I was only thirteen. New to everything. Katara was my first. My first friend who was a girl, first kiss, first love, and my first girlfriend." Aang had his head down shame.

He looked back up to face Sokka. "You can't step into the Water Tribe unless you promise me that you make things right with Katara," said Sokka with his arms crossed. "I promise," said Aang nodding his head. Sokka looked at Aang suspiciously before cracking a smile. "It's good to have you back Aang," said Sokka clapping Aang's shoulder.
"Thanks, Sokka. I promise you won't regret this," said Aang with a smile.

"Where are Appa and Momo?" asked Sokka as the two walked towards the city. "I don't know. I think they are looking for food," replied Aang.
"Hey, Sokka, where's Toph? I have to ask her some.....thing..."
Aang stopped in tracks, recognizing that voice. Aang turned around quickly and his eyes fell on Katara. His heart practically stopped and the air had left his lungs. Katara had grown over the last three years and she looks beautiful. She was frozen in place, staring at Aang with wide eyes.

"Aang?' asked Katara with disbelief. "Is it...really..." she trailed off, unable to continue. "Katara," said Aang. He dropped his staff and moved toward her, stopping when they were a few feet apart. They started at each other, not knowing what to do. Katara hesitantly reached to touch him, jumping when her fingertips touched his cheek. Katara didn't believe that he was there until she touched Aang.

Katara gave a hearty laugh while Aang gave a smile. She had tears in her eyes as she looked at Aang. After 3 years, Katara finally had a real smile on her face. Aang's breath caught in his throat. Her smile was the same since day 1.

"I've missed you," said Aang looking at Katara's ocean blue eyes. "I've missed you too," said Katara.
"Are you leaving soon?" asked Katara quietly. "No," replied Aang immediately. "I'm staying for good." Katara hugged Aang. "Thank-you."
"I'm sorry," Aang said suddenly.
"Aang..."
"No... I never meant to hurt you. I thought you would be okay...."
"Aang....don't. Please. Just hold me."
"I will never leave you again."

"Uh, guys?" Both Aang and Katara pulled apart quickly, forgetting Sokka was standing there. "Come on, Let's find a place for Aang," said Sokka walking deeper into the city, gesturing for them to follow him, smiling. Aang's eyes widened when he felt Katara hand slip into his. He looked over at her a smile. "Why don't you go ahead and find Aang a place to say? We have a lot to talk about," said Katara looking at Sokka with a smile.

"Sure. I'll find you guys when I find something," said Sokka walking off.  When Sokka was out of sight, Katara pulled Aang into another hug. "What's this for? Not that I'm complaining," asked Aang wrapping his arms around Katara. Katara backed away before saying "Don't act surprised that I cared about you. I'll always care."

Aang looked to the snowy ground in shame. "Katara, I'm so-"
"Don't. Please. Don't apologize," said Katara. "I..I haven't healed yet, Aang.  Three years and five months wasn't enough time to put me back together."
"Katara," Aang said softly pulling away. "Let me finish. I'm so happy right now. You're back, and that's enough," said Katara. She leaned in to kiss Aang after 3 years. Aang gently pulled Katara's head and connected their lips. Katara was the same person after all these years, but, she wasn't at the same time.

Hey guys...I'm a huge Avatar the Last Airbender fan. So I decided to make a book about the series. It mostly focuses on Kataang. Enjoy!