Chapter 7

The sun was setting as Aang was walking back. He promised Katara that he would pick her up and didn't want to worry. He was dressed in his ceremonial robes.

"Excuse me? Are you the Avatar?" a voice came behind Aang. He turned around and a young girl, about his age. "Y-yeah...I am the Avatar," replied Aang nervously
"Oh my god!" screamed the girl excitedly.
"Listen, I have to go. It was great meeting you," said Aang as he began walking toward the house.
"Why bother with her?" asked the girl. Aang stopped in his tracks and turned around to face the girl with a puzzled look on his face.
"Wh-what?" asked Aang who was confused.
"I said, why bother with her?" repeated the girl, who had an evil glint in her eyes.
"Wh-who are yo-" began Aang before realization hit him. He knew exactly who this girl was talking about.

"Don't go there," said Aang in a calming voice.
"Why are you with a snowy,"
"Don't," warned Aang.
"Poor,"
"Stop it!" roared Aang who was now furious.
"Water Tribe,"
"Don't you dare say the word!" yelled Aang.
"Peasant,"
"That's it!" yelled Aang.  He advanced towards the girl.
Many things happened at once, but Aang would never forget it. As Aang attempted to earthbend at the girl, she grabbed his arm, pinned him to a wall and kissed him. What's worst is Katara was walking around the corner and caught them. Katara's eyes were wide with shock; betrayal was written all over her face.  Aang saw her too, and he pushed the girl off him. But the damage had already been done.

"Katara, it isn't what it looks like," said Aang softly walking toward her, hoping she would believe him considering all the things they've been through.
"Aang? How could you?!" yelled Katar who now had tears streaming down her face. "Thank you, Aang, for breaking my heart for the second time! And on our anniversary!" yelled Katara.

Before Aang could do something, Katara took off running. Mad at himself, Aang turned to face the girl who had cost his relationship with Katara. "Look what you have done! You ruined my relationship with my girlfriend!" yelled Aang. "Just leave. I don't want to to see you again," said Aang shaking his head. Once the girl was out of Aang's sight, he took off running. He had to find Katara.

Katara was sitting with her arms around her legs. Crying, she thought to herself, "How could you, Aang? After everything that we've been through?" Aang was running as fast he could. He followed Katara's footprints that lead him to the beach. By the time Aang looked up, it was dark out and a full moon.

He found Katara crying by the water. Seeing Katara like this, it broke his heart. He broke his promise to her. Instead of making it better, he made it worse. Aang walked over to Katara. 

"Katara?" Aang asked softly.
"Please, just leave me alone Aang."
No, I'm not leaving. Not until I tell you what happened," said Aang taking a seat next to her.
"Katara, I'm sorry. This is wasn't how I thought tonight will turn out. Seeing you here like this, it-it breaks my heart."
Katara didn't say anything so Aang continued.

"Do you want to know the truth? About why I left you in the first place? I left because I was scared. I was scared that you weren't happy. I was scared that you would fall in love with another man and you were going to leave me. If you did leave me, I don't know what I'd do. I love you so much. You are my whole world, Katara. I don't know what I would do without you."  Aang was now crying.
"I'll understand if you never want to talk to me again. I'll understand if you want to break up. I'm sorry that I caused you all this pain. You don't deserve it. Now, because of my stupid careless actions, I'm about to lose the most important person in my life. You are my world, Katara. I love you and only you. Nothing on Earth will change that."

Aang looked over to Katara to see her reaction but instead got silence. Sighing and turning his head away, Aang stood up and was about to leave when Katara grabbed his hand and pulled him back down. Katara kissed Aang, but he pulled away. "I thought that you were mad at me," said Aang not looking at Katara.

"I can't be mad. Not anymore," said Katara tilting Aang's head so that he was looking at her. "I forgive you, Aang."
"Are we good?" asked Aang uncertain. Katara nodded and said, "We are."

Aang kissed Katara until he pulled away quickly. "Crap," said Aang.
"What? What's wrong?" asked Katara concerned.
"The play. We forgot about the play," said Aang. He sighed deeply.
"Oh well. We'll do something when we get back," said Aang shrugging his shoulders.

Aang airbend himself up and took out his hand. "Come on. It's late. I'll make it up to you," said Aang holding out his hand.  Katara grabbed his hand pulled herself up. Together, the two walked hand in hand back to the house.

"I guess not everyone has a perfect anniversary," thought Aang as he was about to fall asleep. Even though this anniversary wasn't perfect, it was one that both Aang and Katara will remember forever.