Chapter 5

Aang sat on the floor. He took a deep breath and began retelling the story. The story that happened three and a half years ago.

"After I left you in the South Pole that night, I flew to Ba Sing Se. I left Appa and Momo outside the wall and tried to find a place to sleep for the night. I fell asleep outside a shop in the middle ring. The next thing I remembered I was being attacked by Dai Li agents. The Dai Li was the police force in Ba Sing Se. I tried to fight them, but there were too many. I was knocked out and the next thing I remembered was waking up in a bed and in very uncomfortable clothes."

" They made us wake up early and do physical work. We weren't allowed to use any types of bending. If we did, then we were severely punished. They rarely fed us. We got breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but with small portions. At night, they would throw fights. It had to be hand combat. I was always picked because I was the best."

Aang stopped and looked at Katara. She had tears slipping down her face, "Aang, I'm sorry. When I woke up and you weren't there, I was so angry at you," said Katara softly.

"It's not over," said Aang shaking his head.

"I missed you every day. After one year, I had enough. I made a plan to escape. I was going to leave at night when everyone was asleep. I snuck out of the room where the "Prisoners" were sleeping. I sensed that there was a door on the other side of the camp. The camp was huge. So, quietly as I could, I made my way to the other side. My heart was hammering. I got to the door, looking around if anyone was coming my way. It was in a corridor. A long one. But, the second I turned the handle, the alarm was blaring. The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by Dai Lee agents. I fought them, they were better. I was so tired. So tired that I was knocked out."

Aang looked at Katara whose eyes were red from crying. Tears pouring down her face.

"I woke up and tried to sit up. But I couldn't. I was restrained. I looked over to my right and saw the warden.
"Avatar Aang," The Warden said to me in a low voice.
"For your actions, you must be punished."

He stood up and went to the far corner of the room. He came back with a bright red shape. I was scared as the Warden stood over me. "Let this be a reminder, Avatar Aang," he said to me before burning my shoulder with fire. It turned out that he was a Firebender. I screamed a blood-curdling scream. I thought that was it when he was done. But I wrong. He then pushes the symbol into the burnt area of my shoulder. I banged my head against the metal bed and screamed."

"Afterwards, I didn't bother doing anything. I fell into a depression that lasted two years. By then, that was three years of being away. I wanted to escape but didn't want to risk it. But, taking with my cellmates, they wanted to help me escape. So, that night, we left. The plan was they were going to cause a fight. While the guards were busy, I would sneak out and make a run for it.

It worked. Before I left, I caught one of the guy's eye and mouthed thanks. He just gave me a smile a nodded his head. I left the camp. I was finally free after three years. I went to find Appa and Momo and left Ba Sing Se that night. I traveled to the Southern Air Temple where I stayed for five months, trying to heal myself from the trauma.

I was different when I saw my reflection. I had a messy beard and hair. I had a face. I lost my boyish features. When I got to the temple, I fixed myself up. I shaved my head and was about to trim the beard. I kept it instead since I liked it at the time. I found new Air Nomad clothes and stayed there.

If one thing good came out of the camp, it got me in shape. I was bigger and stronger. Every day, I trained and trained. Taking my anger and frustrations out while training.

By then, it was five months. I found out that you were at the South Pole and flew down that day. I stayed hidden the last week, watching you. When I saw you, shame and guilt came to my mind. But I knew I had to face you at some point.....at least show my face.

So, the next morning, I waited outside the gate and that's when I saw Sokka and the rest you already know. When you asked me where I've been, I lied. I wasn't visiting the Earth Kingdom or doing my Avatar duties."

"Now, I have this mark on me for the rest of my life," said Aang, gesturing to his right shoulder. "As a constant reminder of the days living in that....place."

"Katara," said Aang looking at her. "Every day, I thought about you. You were the only reason why I survived for three years. If I wasn't taken, I would've been back to you within the next week. YOU are the reason why I'm here with you right now."'

"I'm sorry, Aang. For everything," said Katara.
"Don't be. I was the one who left. Every day for the rest of my life, I'm going to try to make it up to you."

Aang kissed her and looked at her with sadness. "Come on," said Aang standing up. "Let's get some sleep." He held out his hand for Katara to take which she gladly took. Aang pulled her to her feet and opened the door to their bedroom for her.

They crawled into bed, laying in each other's arms, sleeping, waiting for the sunrise. Katara thought to herself before drifting off to sleep, "I'm sorry, Aang. If only I knew how to help you."