Chapter 10

Katara, who was eight months pregnant, was working at Republic City Hospital. She was called into RM 107. When she got into the room, it was empty. Suddenly, Katara felt her blood go cold and had no control of her body.

There he was, standing before Katara with an evil look. "Yakone," thought Katara. Yakone was Republic City's number one crime boss. "What the hell do you want, Yakone?" asked Katara, trying to be brave when, really, she was terrified.
"I want to make Avatar Aang pay for what he had done to me. To my son. I want him to know what it's like to feel helpless," said Yakone. "And you're going to help me."

"Katara, you home?!" yelled Aang when he noticed the house empty after work. He walked over to the kitchen and saw a recorder. "Play me" it read on the top. Aang pressed play and a voice came on.

"Avatar Aang." Aang felt his body go cold. He knew that voice.
"I have your wife. I've been watching you for a while. Yes, I know she's eight months pregnant. Your last chance to have an Airbender child. Meet me and your wife at City Hall. Come alone. If you contact the police, she's dead. You have less than 12 hours."

Aang dropped everything and ran outside the house. He took off running towards City Hall. When he got there, he slammed the doors open. There, he saw Yakone waiting for him. Slowly, Aang walked towards the centre of the building.

"Where's my wife, Yakone?" asked Aang coldly.
"Right here." Aang saw Katara strapped to a chair,gagged with her hands behind her back. She looked unharmed, thank God.  "Why are you doing this?" asked Aang looking at Yakone.

"Payback. For what you did to my son," replied Yakone.
"What did I ever do to your son?" asked Aang.
"You don't remember? Let me refresh your memory. You killed him! You killed my only son," yelled Yakone.

Aang thought about who Yakone was talking about. Then, it hit him. Five months ago, Aang fought a young man. Unfortunately it cost the man's life.

"I didn't kill your son, Yakone. I gave him a choice. Either surrender and start a new life or fight. He chose to fight. He fell backward off a cliff. I tried to save him. My culture taught us never to use violence. Violence is never the answer, Yakone. You can walk away from this," said Aang.

"I want you to feel pain. I know the only weakness you have is Katara." Yakone looked at Aang with anger. "This is how it's going to work. Either I kill her slow and painful, or you kill her, fast and easy. Either way, she dies, and you get front row seats." Yakone gave Aang a nasty sneer.

Aang looked at Katara and back to Yakone. "I'll do it. I'll kill her. But first, release her," said Aang. Katara ran to Aang when she was released. "I'm sorry, Katara. It's the only way," said Aang. He had tears in his eyes. "I know. I love you Aang....so much. I'll always be with you," said Katara kissing Aang. "I love you too," said Aang softly.

Aang stepped away looking at Katara, trying to memorize her face before killing the love of his life. Aang closed his eyes and felt himself slip into the Avatar State. His tattoo's and eyes lit up. Having water, earth, fire, and air surround him, he sent all four elements towards Katara, killing her at the blink of an eye. Aang had tears streaming down her face when he returned from the Avatar State. Not only did Aang kill Katara, but he also killed his child. "I'm sorry Katara," thought Aang as tears were sliding down his face.

Aang got over Monk Gyatso's death, King Bumi's, Firelord Zuko's, and Chief Hakoda's. But he's not going be able to get over Katara's or his unborn child's death. "I failed. I failed at being a dad and a husband," thought Aang.