Chapter 10

"And that's what happened."

No one answered. But all eyes were on you. You thought going through it would make you more comfortable with the idea of being a firebird princess. A half human one too. But you could confidently say that the shock hadn't left you yet and you were just as uncomfortable (if not more so) about it as ever. And after explaining it to the team, you weren't sure if it felt better or worse.

You weren't alone, however. While you tried to let the team know what happened and what you were and how completely mad it all sounded, Loki stood behind the couch and chimed in when it became hard for you to explain anything. But he let you explain most of it. He said it wasn't his place to explain something so personal. Which was super polite, but really the wrong moment for it.

"So you're a bird?" Clint said with the most confused face of all.

"My father was. I'm half uh... half bird." You put your head in your hands. "This is insane. I'm insane. What is even going on?"

"Yup this is bonkers." Cap nodded as he stared out above your head. Nat hit him on the side giving him a look that so obviously meant 'shut up'.

"So how did your dad... make you?" Tony asked.

"It seems only you would ask such a question." Loki scoffed dramatically.

Bruce grabbed the book off the table and opened it to the marked page. "Phoenixes are commonly known for taking human form to blend in. It is known as their most vulnerable form. If a Phoenix is weak or on the verge of death, they have the option to take this form to preserve their life force. Only the most powerful Phoenixes will have the ability to hold it for long amounts of time."

"Brucey is right. Just like I said, he was sick and she found him in his human form."

"Do you mind if I borrow that?" Tony asked walking up behind Bruce. "I think I'm behind on my mythical creatures."

You giggled but nodded. "I think Loki has first dibs so you'll have to get it from him."

/I do not recall calling "dibs"/

//You do want it first don't you? I thought I would do it for you before Tony got his hands on it.//

/And you assume I have not read it before?/

//Oh, I'm sure you have. But that doesn't mean you can't read through it again with a new perspective and or test subject.//

His laugh echoed in your head.

/What would I do without you?/

//Crash and burn.//

Cap walked over to the book looking through it. "And you can turn into one of these things?"

"Not as far as I know. I'm still half human." You pulled the necklace from underneath your shirt. "This will help me control my powers as they grow stronger."

"Like the limiters?" Bruce asked.

"Except they won't explode on me." You smirked at Tony who just rolled his eyes.

"She's got you there." Nat laughed with you.

"This says they were immortal." Bruce pointed out from the book. "Only If they got fatally injured or severely sick they would turn to ash and reform. So this sickness must have been-"

"Enough to kill an immortal." Loki finished his sentence while staring intensely at the floor.

Everyone looked at you with either intrigue or sympathy. All you could do was a shrug. "I really have no clue. I'm barely over the fact that Tony guessed this whole thing."