M.A.L.

This is set in the same verse as 'Hippie and The Cool' (Just The Two Of Us (Jimon) Vol. 1)

**********

She was so tiny.

She lay in a crib at the adoption agency. The tufts of blond hair spread around her tiny head, her tiny fist in her mouth.

Their tiny three month old baby girl was finally going home with them.

Jace refused to pick her up because he thought he'd crush her. Simon didn't pick her up because he was shaking too much and he was afraid he'd drop her.

Alec rolled his eyes and picked up their daughter with the practiced ease of a tried and tested parent.

"Simon, sit." He ordered and for the first time since he knew Simon, the brunet did as he said without any sarcastic remarks. It was new.

Alec didn't like it.

"It's OK to be nervous." He said as he placed the sleeping baby in Simon's arms. "But trust me, you'll be fine."

"She's so tiny." Simon said, his voice full of wonder. At the sound of his voice the baby opened her eyes and yawned. Simon chuckled gently and stoked her cheek with his finger. "Hey..." he said quietly, staring at her like she was the only thing in the world.

Jace stood awkwardly at the corner of the room, watching the way his husband cooed over the new baby. He still wasn't sure about kids but Simon wanted one so much and there wasn't anything in the world he wouldn't do for Simon.

"Are you OK?" he heard Alec ask, as his brother stood next to him.

"I dunno if I can do this." Jace whispered. Alec chuckled and Jace glared at him. "It's not funny. I'm this close to a panic attack. What if I crush her? Or-Or what if I turn into my dad and hit her? What if she ends up hating me? What if...?"

"Shut up, Jace." Alec said calmly. "You are worrying about shit that won't even happen. This is a baby. Your baby. All you need to do right now is love her and take care of her. The rest won't matter."

Jace eyed his brother. "Did you panic? I mean, with Madzie?"

"Oh, big time." Alec grinned. "And she was five." Jace chuckled.

"I remember." Jace smiled at the memory. "You made me take the week off work to stake out her school."

"Well, I couldn't just leave her there." Alec said, frowning.

"Dude, Simon was there." Jace said, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder. "He promised to watch her."

"I couldn't even trust Magnus with her for the first few months." Alec laughed. "I can't count how many nights I spent on the couch."

"Yeah." Jace rolled his eyes. "There's only so many times you can call Magnus Lightwood-Bane in competent before he banishes you to the couch."

"Yeah." Alec watched as Simon leaned to kiss the baby's forehead. "Will you be OK?"

Jace watched his family and nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat. "I never thought there'll be a time I'd be jealous of a baby."

"You're jealous of your baby?" Alec asked incredulously. "Your baby?"

"Well, up until this morning, Simon used to look at me just like that." Jace said, smiling slightly as he watched Simon.

"You are an idiot, Jace." Simon said quietly without looking at him.

"Yeah, well..." Jace said, grinning at Simon as he sat next to him. "I'm your idiot."

Simon turned and kissed Jace on the cheek. "Yeah, you are. You wanna hold her?"