FIRSTS (2)

First Date

It was the sound of someone shouting his name that had Simon sitting up sharply in bed. “I’m up!” he said groggily. It took him a while to get his bearings.

The first thing he noticed was that it was dark. Then he looked around, wondering who it was that woke him up. He blinked slowly at the blurry figure standing in the doorway. “Jace?” he muttered, gabbing his glasses off the nightstand. “What time is it?”

“Time to get your butt in gear.” Jace sounded to cheerful for what Simon had already decided was an ungodly hour. He picked up his phone and looked at the time.

“Five forty five?” Simon growled. “Is there a reason, you are waking me up at ass o’clock in the morning?”

Jace rolled his eyes. “It’s a surprise. Come on. We have to get there before sunrise.”

“Get where?” Simon asked, refusing to get up. He was still sleepy and he was having he best dream.

“Simon, get up.” Jace said, his voice serious.

Simon got up, growling and pushed past Jace on his way to the bathroom. He yelped when the blond swatted his butt.

“Be quick about it.” Jace called out. “I’ll be waiting in the car. Don’t keep me waiting.”

Simon grumbled louder as he brushed his teeth and washed his face. “This had better be worth it.”

Jace was sitting in the car when Simon was ready. He was scowling when he got inside the car. “You better have a good reason for this.” He growled. His ire reduced when Jace handed him a travel mug of what he assumed was coffee.

“Trust me, you’ll love it.” Jace said, patting his knee.

Simon nodded and proceeded to make himself comfortable in the passenger’s seat.  Even as he sipped on the coffee, his eyes slowly closed.

He started when Jace shook him awake. “Hey, we’re here.”

“Here” was…

“Wow.” Simon breathed. “I haven’t been here in...since I was twelve.”

The last time he was at the North woods, his mom had brought him and his sister a few months after his dad had died. It had been their favorite place when he was alive. It has been a bittersweet day for all of them. His mom had tried not to cry and Becks had taken him to one of the streams there and they had tried to have a good time.

He blinked quickly. “So, what are we doing here?”

“Our date.” Jace sounded proud of himself as he wrapped his arms around Simon from the back, kissing his temple. “Come on, I have set everything up.”

It was just before sunrise when they got to a cute little setting. There was a blanket and a basket.

“A picnic?” Simon asked. “At this hour?”

“Shut up, dumbass.” Jace said playfully. “I thought you’d appreciate it.”

Simon did. A lot.

“I didn’t think you were this sappy.” Simon teased, making himself comfortable. “How did you manage this? When did you do all this?”

“I…I wanted to do something different for our first date.” Jace said, sitting next to him, ducking his head shyly. “Something…memorable.”

Simon turned to look at Jace and grinned.  “I love it.” He said softly as he leaned his head on Jace’s shoulder.

Jace kissed his forehead and then Simon gasped as the sun rose. “Wow, now, this I have never seen.”

They watched the sunrise together. It was sappy as fuck, but Simon was glad they did this.

“So would you go out with me?” Jace asked when he started to unpack the basket next to him. “Like, only me?”

“I thought we were already doing that.” Simon said; confused.

“I…you have been sleeping in your own room since I first kissed you.” Jace said, scowling. “And you didn’t kiss me again. And we haven’t even told anyone and…”

Simon leaned and cut him off with his lips. Jace responded immediately and Simon grinned. He laughed when Jace made a whining sound when he pulled away. “Better?”

“Not sure.” Jace said, but he was smiling. “Maybe we should try that again.”

Simon laughed as he pushed Jace away. “I don’t think I’m at the point in our relationship where I can comfortably make out  with my boyfriend in public. Sorry.”

Jace grinned. “Boyfriend. I like that.” He said and leaned to press a quick kiss on Simon’s smiling mouth. “Also, we’ll get there. Maybe we can make out in front of Alec and Magnus sometime…”