why me

steve was exasperated, "you don't know" "how do you not know?"

"it's probably nothing, harrington" billy rolled his clouded blue eyes.

this caused a break in steve's emotions, "you have no idea the shit that i've gone through" "and the utter pain from all things- related to what's on your arm"

"so, don't say that it's nothing" he said, slowly getting up off the floor.

billy gave a questioning glare, "what do you mean?"

"you don't care" steve leaned against the bed, shocked when billy grabbed his hospital shirt.

"you don't know how i feel" he snarled, "so, don't assume"

steve sighed deeply, caving and telling billy about the things he's been dealing within the past year.

he explained how important each of the kids were to him, the upside down, the truth about the night that billy had stumbled upon his stepsister at the byers' home and fought with him.

along with the countless nights of terror from the attacks and the constant subconscious fear a pack of demogorgans would come and kill the ones he cared about.

steve looked at the white tiles sadly after he finished speaking, billy only gazed at the boy.

"you probably don't even believe me, but it's whatever" steve mumbled

"i'm sorry steve, i had no idea" billy softened for a moment, before abruptly groaning in pain, grasping his arm.

"billy?" steve shot into panic mode, the black pattern worked its way up billy's bicep and halfway down his arm, almost reaching his wrist.

steve's heart raced as the sounds on the heart monitor became more increasingly rapid.

he heard rushed footsteps coming from outside the hospital room, so he hid in the small patients armoire.

through the small space in between the wooden doors, steve witnessed nurses holding down billy, then injecting him, causing him to fall into unconsciousness.

they all took notes on their clipboards, strangely enough.

steve waited until they all retreated and left the room. it suddenly hit him, the realization that billy is merely a study, an experiment, they were in hawkins lab just as eleven had been.

his mind raced, he knew that they wouldn't care if billy lived or died, as most of the doctors didn't care whether will survived during the possession.

steve hastily made a decision to attempt to get billy and himself out of the lab.

one of the doctors had left their radio on the side table, so steve quickly called out, attempting to contact any of the kids or more specifically eleven.

it was nearly time for the next night shift of nurses and doctors to come in, he saw this as another opportunity to sneak into the hallway and grab a stranded gurney.

"fucking hell" he moved with his crutches as best as he could manage, "god damn billy and all those muscles" steve muttered, while attempting to move billy onto the stretcher.

eventually, steve was able to get billy. he quickly went over to the table, grabbing the plastic patient bag, then dumped all the extra syringes and pain medications into it.

pure fear took over steve's body as the door knob shook. suddenly the door was open, military personnel and doctors shouted at steve as he grew wide eyed.

promptly, eleven had appeared behind the group threatening the teenager.

many were thrown into the hall, steve was lost in shock and appreciation. he was immediately brought back to reality by hopper entering the room, so he quickly threw a thin blanket over billy's arm, just in precaution to avoid hopper's almost certain judgement.

eleven stood in the doorway, a slightly amount of blood dripping from her flared nostrils. "go", she looked steve in the eyes, giving a slight glance to billy.

steve gave a thankful smile and nod, before both faded when he and billy had approached the foyer of the building, as there was now a demogorgan breaking through the glass doors, looking for it's next meal.

"why me?"

a/n: poor steve