you aren't who you said you were

a/n: season three, may I just say, f u c k I'm still shook

"where the hell are we?" billy's gruff voice rang around them.

"i don't know" "how the fuck.."

their voices echoed through the seemingly endless space. steve walked a bit further ahead, trying to understand why everything was happening all at once.

it was dark and grey, everything had changed.

"i just have to think" steve said aloud to himself

it seemed as if they had been walking for hours. the dust particles clouded around them as it became hard for steve to breathe.

"billy, i can't do this" "i just can't" his breaths were short and heavy

"it'll be okay" "we've got to keep moving, alright"

"do you even care?" "and what about the kids, what if th-"

"shh don't stress yourself out"

he gasped lightly as billy squeezed his hand, "i'm so sorry" he muttered.

steve searched his face with a look of confusion, "for wh-" he was cut off by billy's rough kiss.

"now isn't the time" "hey!" steve filled with panic, as billy was walking away from him quickly.

"where are you going?" "billy!" steve shouted

billy laughed, steve had noticed his pupils had dilated almost completely once he turned around.

he quickly realized something was wrong with him, "please, you don't have to do this"

"billy, billy i know you're in there"

steve's voice was so distant to where billy was actually. "your boy is gone" a grin adorned his face, but it indeed wasn't billy.

"no!" steve jumped, knocking over the other teenager- or what appeared to be.

his strength was undoubtedly absent compared to the possessed billy hargrove.

"ah" steve groaned in pain as he was thrown across the ground. ringing filled his ears, but he wasn't willing to give up yet.

he had noticed eleven had made her way behind billy as he suddenly turned around to face her.

"can't hide now" his voice was twisted

"leave us alone" eleven glared

"everything here can kill you, but I can do it the most effectively" billy had gotten a grasp on el, causing steve to lash out.

once steve had knocked into billy, eleven was able to get away.

unfortunately steve hadn't been able to get away fast enough as billy's hand wrapped around his throat.

"billy!" "i-i know you're in there" he gasped out, "i love you!" "and i need you, we need you!" steve's shaking fingers brushed over billy's cheek.

something in his eyes changed, before a deafening sound came over them. eleven was giving her everything to get rid of this monster.

the black coursed it's way out of his body, the sounds were indescribable as steve covered his ears, holding eleven after she went slack.

lights burst all around them, almost as if they were being cast out of the upside down.

they all eventually ended back up in the school on the cold gym floor.

the kids had been on the bleachers and ran up to el as soon as they realized what happened.

steve looked down at the mangled blonde, the black and red marks all over his body, the tear stained face.

he forgot the kids were there for a second and grasped billy's hand.

"steve" billy coughed

steve looked over his shoulder briefly to make sure the kids were distracted.

he leaned in and kissed billy, softly smiling "fuck, i'm so glad you're okay".

"did you mean what you said?" billy's head rested on steve's shoulder.

"of course"

"good, because i love you too"

a/n i'm sucker for h a p p y endings, sorry this chapter is so short.