Chapter 10

Earth: year 3204
Northern academy

Breeze:
When we both finally get to our quarters, to spend our first night together in the quarters, we’re both just as silent as the graves at the graveyard of the fallen Elementals. She’s already there when I arrive and the doors lock behind me, but she doesn’t say anything. She doesn’t have to say anything either. It’s like I can read her mind and I know she’s doubting how this partnership is going to work out. Just this first day I’ve seen how distrustful she is to me, even before she properly knows me. I’m willing to bet we’re both just going to be stuck here because we can’t seem to trust each other. The thing is though: I don’t even trust myself at this point.

Rain and Ember’s ‘tag-along’ in the hall just now made that happen once again. I remember how I for the first time felt like I was on top of it all when I managed to master my own emotions in harmony with my element. At that point, when I did that, I didn’t have to worry about anything, but afterwards I started worrying about Rain and Ember getting to me. I wasn’t wrong about that either. For once I actually wish that I was. Now Blaze knows that as well…now she really knows what she’s been put together with. It only adds to her first-impression-distrust.

I lie down on my bunk and I close my eyes, trying to get som rest. I manage to get through a few hours without anything poking out in my mind. After all I am exhausted after this long day mentally. I practically have no strength to worry about anything right now. I know I have adjustments to make regarding getting a partner, but I think I can at least get used to having one. Getting used to her temper is a different matter and that might even test me more than I would like it to.

A few hours into my well-adorned sleep however, I find myself in the middle of a training-session. The place is different. I’m not in this academy anymore, I’m somewhere else. There’s a wind-element against an earth-element…the first thing I seem to notice, is the imbalance of power between the two. The wind-elemental seems so much more powerful than the earth-elemental. Catching a glimpse of her as things seem to slow down for a moment, I see she’s sick, pale…she shouldn’t be in a battle like this I make out. The speed of the wind then escalates, and the earth-elemental can’t fight it anymore. She stops resisting as her strength fades away and she falls down, crashing to the ground.

I wake up abruptly, covered in sweat and take to my head. I don’t even know what the hell that was all about. I’ve never had that kind of dream before! I’m trying to catch my breath as I collect myself. I didn’t even recognize the girl in the dream. I don’t know why she suddenly popped up in my head. The other thing I notice now is how hot it is here. As I look over at Blaze, I see a fireball in her hand, but she’s still fast asleep. The ball it’s increasing and decreasing in size as I can spot her being in the middle of some sort of hell on her own. “Blaze…” I try, but I get no response. She’s too far into it, it seems. “Blaze!” I call out again, but still no response.

“Rocky…” I hear her say. It must be the name of her old partner or someone she knows or knew. She’s still in the middle of it as I get up on my feet and walk over to her carefully, trying not to scare her. I know that fire is dangerous for me with the element I manage. “Rocky, no…” She keeps saying. That fireball is growing even bigger now as things are turning really serious. “Blaze, wake up! You gotta stop this fireball-thing…Blaze!” I call out once again, but she doesn’t answer. Okay, that’s it. I have to put it out. I grab some momentum and send a slightly powerful wave of wind on the fireball. Just as I put it out, she wakes up abruptly. “Rocky!”

I take a deep breath once again as she actually scared me slightly. I walk back to my bed and sit down to cool down a little. It’s so freaking hot in here right now. I keep my eyes on her though. She’s made me curious about this Rocky-person…the person’s name she called out in her sleep and when she woke up. She keeps breathing at a rapid pace as she seems to gather her head a little bit before she catches my glimpse at her. I turn my head a little bit as she does. “Sorry for waking you up like that…you were almost burning me up.” I let, trying to lighten the mood for waking her up, but she looks back at her hand. “I must’ve imagined you as a Marsian…” She lets out rather sarcastic.