Chapter 28

Earth: Year 3205
Aircraft to the Military Academy

Blaze:
Having despised her ever since I’ve come to know her, I’ll be the last one to admit it, but she proves a valuable point. This ‘conflict’ that has been going on between Breeze and Rain really isn’t any of my business…any of our business. For once Ember and I are on the same side about something. It’s not up to me to lecture Rain on how to treat Breeze. That’s all on Breeze as a matter of fact. I’ve only ever involved myself because it’s been bothering Breeze so much that I felt like I had to take some of the weight off of him. The thing is I care about him too much to let him do it. The way Ember puts it up however, makes me really consider to stop.

“Have you even thought about that?” Ember then asks me. I turn around to face her again. I walk back to the bench next to the table and sit down, facing her. “I have always known about it, I’m not an idiot. I guess it just takes to hear it out loud before you actually consider acting accordingly.” I answer. “I got myself involved because I had my partner’s back, there was never anything more to it.” I let out. Ember nods weakly to herself. “That makes two of us. I always understood that Rain wanted what was best for Breeze, but I didn’t always agree with the method. I always figured they could be good friends, but then again, I couldn’t tell him what to do so…” She lets out.

“…so you decided to join in on Rain’s psychological terror towards Breeze. You aided Rain in breaking his brother emotionally down to little pieces.” I let out showing my ‘admiration’ of her choice of actions. “I don’t expect you to understand it, Blaze. The fact that you and I are even having this conversation civilized, wasn’t something I actually imagined possible.” She answers. “Oh, I can be quite civilized when I want to be. It all depends on whether or not people are pulling my rear-ends.” I answer as we both hear a door open and it’s actually Breeze.

I hear movement as Ember gets up and leaves her cup by the table. She looks over at Breeze who’s slowly making his way towards the window and sits down. “You should let the brothers talk…both for them and…” She stops mid-way and I look up at her, waiting for her to say something, but she doesn’t. She just leaves the room and leaving me and Breeze alone in the main-room. After a minute or so, wondering on Ember’s hesitance just now, I make my way over to him.

“I thought you were dead-tired after your session and would sleep through the whole trip.” I let out as I sit down in front of him. He’s looking out the window. “I am tired, that’s not really the problem.” He answers as he turns slightly distant. “So what is the problem?” I ask as I sigh somewhat deeply. “Isn’t it obvious?” He asks me. It is obvious. “Rain…” I let out and he simply nods. “Why?” I ask. He sighs deeply to himself for a moment. “I don’t really know why. I mean, there were times when I used to imagine life without him. It was especially when he was all over me at the very worst and I just wanted him gone.” He answers. “I used to wonder if I would ever miss him.”

I sense some sort of stab in my chest as he says that. I never had any doubts about Rocky. We were always so close and I always feared the day when death would separate us. I knew it could come, but I just didn’t know it would come that soon. “What do you think now, after one year apart?” I then manage to ask as I’ve gathered my thoughts. “I still don’t know…I mean, I know you would want me to say that ‘yes, I would miss him’, but at the same time my relationship with him has been quite different from the one you had with your sister.” He answers. Just like I imagined in fact.

“What makes you think about this now?” I ask as he takes a deep breath…as deep as he can with the mask. I hardly noticed that he brought it with him. “We’re going to the Military Academy, meaning we’re really close to the field-duty we’ve been training for since we started using our element. At the same time many things about everything really, has so much more history than we’re being told…I guess I start to wonder if the last time I see my brother, is when we step foot off this aircraft when we arrive at the Military Academy.” He lets out. It all makes sense when he puts it forward like that.