One-Shot by @panemgirl

Inspired by Chapter 11
Rain's point of view

The cafeteria is extra noisy this morning as I wander my way inside, spotting Ember immediately. A grin adorns my face while my feet change their course towards her. For the past couple of years, Ember has become not just a friend but my best friend. After all, we're Elemental-partners; it only seems fit. Whenever she’s around, the world seems so much better.

“I was beginning to wonder if you were trying to avoid me this morning, Rain,” Ember laughs and I roll my eyes at her.

            “Please, I've been trying to for years, and yet, you always seem to find me. It would be a waste of energy to try anymore.” My hands sneak around her like a thief grabbing her roll and taking a large bite.

“Rain,” she shrieks, “How many times do I have to tell you to keep your grubby hands off of my food?” She attempts to smack me across my head and I duck down shoving the remains of the bread into my mouth.

            Mouth full I ask “Want some?” and she fake gags in response. Gulping loudly, I swallow the roll and open my mouth to make a witty remark when I spot someone leaving the cafeteria; Breeze. The mood darkens and silence fills the air like a thousand of unsaid words.

            A hand rests upon my shoulder and Ember stares at me concerned, following my gaze. “Rain, don’t torture yourself. Just because you believe that you can’t be close to Breeze, doesn't mean it’s true.” Shaking off her hands, my eyes grow dark and Ember pulls back slightly, staring at me with concern.

“Sadly it is true. I have to keep this up. He-he’s not as strong as others. I need him to hate me” Pushing off from the wall, I march along towards the cafeteria doors. Ember’s footsteps sound behind mine and I can tell she’s not very happy with me.

            Finally, she speaks as she matches my steps, “Where are you going, Rain?”

            “To tell my brother good morning,” I snap back. My hands push open a door opposite to the one Breeze exited and I follow the hallways until I spot my brother up ahead. Before I can speak, he spots me and his face pales, slightly. I wince so quickly that to the others it looks as though I had an itch. You built this relationship. It’s your fault that he’s scared of you, my conscience chimes in my head. My stomach twists into a thousand knots, and suddenly, that roll became immensely unsatisfying.

            Finally reaching them, a fake grin stretches across my face and I taunt him. “Well, well, well, if it isn't my little brother Breeze…” I hesitate for a second as I notice the person he’s with, “… with Blaze?” The sentence comes out as more of a question and I reprimand myself. Be tough; don’t act weak; be an example to Breeze.

 Trying to make up for my slip-up, the words that come out are crueler than normal. “My, oh my… if it isn't my little brother, and he’s finally gotten himself an Elemental-partner. To tell you the truth, I’m really surprised. I mean, I never thought they’d find someone to match you.” My arms shake like a windy storm and I cross them so that Breeze doesn't notice.  Turning towards Blaze I continue antagonizing them. “You should really feel offended by the way…”

            A whooshing sound makes its way to my ears and I watch as a spiral of wind forms around Breeze. For a second, I want to stop my job at making him stronger; stop the act and talk him through what to do. He’s powerful but he just needs control… but at last I cannot.

            “You better calm down there, tornado. You wouldn't want to prove us right in front of your partner, would you?” Ember chimes in and I shoot her a thankful look for stepping in. Although she hates what I’m doing, Ember knows that it is what is best for Breeze. Out there on the battlefield, if we were close, it could lead to a lot of harm rather than good.