Chapter Eight

The theatre hummed with the hushed rumble of fifteen voices muttering words like "vote", "choice" and, quietest of all, "explosion".

Dyo leant back against the stage, taking it all in. Students and adults, shunning pink in favour of blacks, blues, greens and reds, were standing in small groups, heads together and hands animated as they discussed the events of the past few days. Bree, with her blue hair and lilac dress, was holding court in one of the larger groups, her head bend towards her neighbour's as they debated. Under the chatter, Orpheus, the group's resident musician, sat on stage strumming on his guitar.

Despite Bree's message, there were no new faces, although half a dozen members were conspicuous in their absence.

Dyo didn't feel like joining any of the groups himself. A single image had consumed him for the past few days, occupying his thoughts even now, in the place that was usually his safe haven. Try as he might, there was a pair of grey eyes Dyo couldn't get out of his mind. Had she been caught in the blast? He should have warned her; if she'd been injured it would be his fault.

"I didn't see you in my lecture yesterday," Ajax admonished Dyo as he walked towards him, breaking him out of his daydream. The pink sweater was gone, replaced by a burgundy hoodie and jeans.

"Really?" Dyo asked, his voice carrying a tone of surprise. "How did you miss me? I was the one in the front - in the pink shirt?" His face remained deadly straight.

Ajax cocked an eyebrow. "Ah yes, and the ridiculous canvas shoes that offer no protection against the winter weather?"

"Of course. Although, you may not have spotted me among the flock of girls thronging round me."

"True - I would have expected to find you with Sephy and her new friend, the pretty brunette." Dyo's face twitched ever so slightly with interest, granting Ajax victory. He winked at Dyo before adding, "I'll see you front and centre next week," before moving on.

The noise level increased three-fold as Sephy entered the meeting. "Good evening all! Jeez, it's cold out there!" she announced, stamping snow off of her boots and hugging her dark military-style coat to her chest. Orion came in behind her in his grungy leather jacket, a ridiculous pink bobble hat perched on his head that looked luminous against his dark skin. Behind them was another girl with bobbed brown hair - the brunette Ajax had mentioned? Maybe Dyo wasn't going to have to venture out to next week's lecture to meet her after all.

Unfortunately, it didn't look as though she would have been worth the effort anyway: she was wearing a fuchsia pink ski-jacket and a soft, rose-pink hat and gloves. Even her white snow boots had pink pipping on them. Dyo was about to turn away in disappointment, when he noticed her glance around the room then remove her hat and gloves, shoving them into the pockets of her coat, which she took off despite the chill in the air. Beneath, she was dressed in a worn out pair of grey jeans and a purple vest top. Emblazoned on the top was a golden owl; not exactly the height of pop fashion. The girl shivered, but kept her coat in her arms.

Then she turned to face him, revealing dove-grey eyes. They were mesmerising: intelligent, vulnerable and familiar. Dyo had come inches away from those eyes before and they'd been haunting him ever since. She had survived.

She hadn't seen him yet and he had no idea whether she would recognise him when she did. He wasn't sure that he was ready to find out, so he watched from a distance as Sephy led her around, carrying out introductions.

It didn't surprise Dyo that Sephy had been the only person brazen enough to invite a new member. While everyone else was pretending they had nothing to do with the anti-establishment group being whispered about on the feeds, Sephy went on a recruiting drive.