Chapter Thirty Two

"Earth to Athena. Are you in there?" Cress waved a hand in front of Athena's face, looking concerned.

"Sorry, Cress. I zoned out." Athena shook her head, trying to drag her mind from the dinner she'd enjoyed with Dyo the night before back to the here and now. Unfortunately, her imagination was throwing a strop and refusing to relinquish the memory of Dyo's lips on hers. Or his hands in her hair. Or...

"Athena!"

Athena blinked. "You've been doing that a lot recently. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes. Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"Honestly, Athena, I don't even know where to start. You're not even wearing a scrap of white."

"White?"

Cress rolled her eyes.

Athena looked at her friends closely. Cress was wearing a white suit skirt and formal shirt. Demi was sitting in a white jumpsuit. Dora's whitewashed denim jeans were the only item of clothing with a hint of colour in them.

"When... I thought... Blue..."

"Seriously, Athena, this is why I am so concerned. I know you're caught up with your new boyfriend." Cress pursed her lips; her nose wrinkling as though she'd smelt something bad. "But really, you're taking things too far - the pop colour changed three days ago. Right after our lecture with Mr Leighton. We've been wearing white for days. How could you not have noticed?"

Athena could only shrug at her friends. But could she even still call them that, when she tuned out most of what they said and had missed the colour revolution that had taken place in their wardrobes? Had Cress' room been repainted over the weekend? Would she find a snowy wasteland where there had once been a jungle of green, a palace of pink and an ocean of blue?

Athena needed to pull herself together before the girls gave her up as a lost cause. "I'm really sorry. A lot has been going on. I need to make more of an effort to keep up."

They looked at each other sceptically.

Athena was saved by a knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" she told them as she jumped up, desperate to get away from their concerned stares.

On the other side of the door to the flat, she found Dyo.

"Hey," she breathed, barely able to stop herself from launching towards him. She was torn between asking him to take her away, back to their midnight discussions of revolution and the future, and going back to her friends to try and reintegrate herself in her everyday life.

"Hey yourself."

"What are you doing here?"

He looked slightly sheepish. "Call me crazy and obsessive, but I missed you."

"I missed you too." She smiled.

"How about we go for a walk then?"

She looked back into the room. Demi and Dora were talking quietly, but Cress was observing her, her brow creased in concern.

"I would love to-"

"Great, grab your coat then."

"But-" she continued, refusing to be swayed by his words. "I should really stay here this afternoon. For a few hours at least. Maybe we could meet for dinner later? I need to spend some time with my friends. Or you could always come in and meet them too."

"An afternoon of pop vote fun. Sounds great."

"Dyo..."

"Okay, okay, for you, I guess I could-" he looked past her shoulder and into the room, but suddenly stopped mid-sentence.

"You know what. I shouldn't interfere. You're right, you should spend time with your friends. I'll catch up with you later. Have a lovely afternoon." He kissed her all too briefly and then he was gone, vanishing down the corridor and out of sight.

Athena was left alone in the doorway, stunned. Dyo had taken one look into the room and practically sprinted from the building

"Was that him?" Cress asked as Athena as she rejoined them on the sofa.

"Yes, that was Dyo."

Demi glanced up, her expression thoughtful.

"Athena, I am really concerned about you," Cress said. "This guy doesn't sound like good news. The same could be said for your crying friend who stayed here. And don't even get me started on the last time I saw you at a camp meeting, or on the camp feeds. What has happened to you, Athy? I've been talking to Castor and he's worried that you might have got caught up in that group. Please tell me that's not true."

Athena forced herself not to laugh. She'd gotten in with a wrong crowd? She didn't know anything about her boyfriend?

"Athena," Cress continued, placing a hand on her arm. "We only want what is best for you."

"Cress, you sound like my mother - who has actually met Dyo herself and really liked him. In fact, she messaged me this morning to say that he was the nicest boyfriend I've had."

"But-"

"But nothing, Cress. There is nothing wrong with Dyo, or Sephy. They are my friends, as are you. I wish you would trust my judgement."

There was a moment of silence. Cress looked torn.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I should trust you. It would be easier if I didn't feel like we were drifting apart though."

"A few of us are meeting for dinner tonight," Demi said, trying to bring them back together. "We're discussing plans for the spring carnival. Would you like to come? It would be great to have your input."

Athena bite her lip. She hadn't even realised there'd been a vote suggesting a spring carnival. When had she missed that? She'd also just agreed to meet Dyo, but if she flaked on Cress and told her that she was seeing Dyo instead... well it wouldn't do much for their friendship.

And she needed to stay on good terms with Cress. For one thing, it would be useful to know what Castor was up to, for another, her living arrangements would become similar to Sephy's if she didn't get on with her roommate and thirdly she liked Cress. Sure, she was overly enthusiastic and controlling, but she was also fun and Athena enjoyed spending time with her.

"That sounds great."

Rain check on tonight? How about we meet for breakfast before lectures tomorrow instead? Athena sent to Dyo quickly as the girls settled back into their previous conversation.

That's fine. Better offer? He sent back moments later.

Not quite. But Cress thinks it's weird that I'm not going to pop meetings. I don't want her to start watching me too closely. - Athena

Rain check it is then. I'll see you tomorrow. Enjoy your evening. - Dyo