Chapter Thirty Six

Athena hadn't been to the group's new meeting place yet and the address Orion sent her - with a clear instruction not to bring Dyo - didn't make a lot of sense.

It made even less sense when Athena found herself outside a quaint looking cafe around the corner from Waterloo East station. Its name, The ABC, was written above the door in a fancy French script.

Why would the group be meeting somewhere so public?

In the time it had taken her to get here, the sun had dipped below the horizon. They were no longer in any doubt that the news blast was referring to Sephy. A number of articles had swiftly followed the headline, none of them remotely positive or neutral. While she debated whether she'd come to the right place, Athena sat on a bench and caught up on the feeds.

The Daily Politics: Disaffected NLUP student plants bomb at the headquarters for the Freedom Institute in New London. Sephy Taylor, a first year student at the New London University of Politics, was apprehended this afternoon attempting to plant a bomb that was rigged to blow during an important board meeting, killing all of the Institute's New London based board members.

The only bomb Sephy had was the video that would have blown the Freedom Institute's deception wide open, Athena thought bitterly.

The Voting View: Despite enrolling at NLUP earlier this year, Taylor has an extremely poor attendance record. "We are greatly saddened by the news that any of our students would attempt to harm another human being. Due to poor academic marks, Miss Taylor was already undergoing disciplinary action at the University, and was going to be leaving us shortly. In light of her recent behaviour, Miss Taylor has now been expelled with immediate effect."

The NLUP was abandoning Sephy to her fate. If missing lectures really was a case for disciplinary action, Dyo would have been kicked out long ago.

The Campaigner: Cassandra Flax, Taylor's roommate, at the time of the bomb plot, was unsurprised by her behaviour. "I've always known something wasn't right about her. They all says so. {Interestingly, the reported had chosen to omit the fact that the 'they' Cassy referred to were voices she 'heard in the walls'} She let [people] steal my food too."

The Pop Times: Taylor has a family history of public disorder. Her father, formerly a chairman for the Liberty Group, became infamous seven years ago following a naked protest in Trafalgar Square. As a result of public backlash, he became a recluse, dying only a year later.

Sephy had told Athena this story during a walk in the park: "Senior members of the LG bumped him off for speaking out against them. He only stripped off because partners at the firm told him it was an offence to protest in LG clothing, as it suggested that they 'endorsed his views'." Her voice echoed eerily in Athena's head.

The Daily Politics: Taylor is currently being held in Trafalgar Detention Centre, awaiting trial.

But it wasn't only the news feeds which were discussing Sephy; the public feeds were buzzing with speculation. None of it was positive.

PopGrlXO: Why are people so desperate to harm our peaceful society?

Vote4Life: I bet she was behind the other bombings in New London too.

Voting_Queen: Those poor people at the Freedom Institute! They work so hard for our best interests.

Yeah right, Athena thought. These pop voters had no idea what they were talking about.

The_World_is_Ours: The people who planted the bombs are terrorists.

ThroughTheGlass: They are attacking our freedom of speech and our right to control the world we live in.