Chapter Twenty Five

Bree's apartment overlooked the river. Athena only had to walk a hundred metres from the door to find herself staring into the dark waters of the Thames.

She'd ruined everything. If she'd told Dyo the moment she realised Castor had been lying to her, she wouldn't be in this mess.

Athena was exhausted. She didn't even know what time it was any more: 2am? 3am? She had a world voting lecture at nine in the morning, a thought which darkened her mood still further. Maybe she should cut her losses and go home to her parents in Hastings. Was there any point hanging around for a degree that supported a system she could no longer stomach?

Downing Street was at least a half hour walk away. Thirty minutes in the silent darkness. Not that New London was completely dark, of course, even at this hour: lights twinkled in apartments and office blocks, and the roads shone in teal and red as bicycle lights flashed by.

Athena sighed. She couldn't muster the enthusiasm to start the slow walk back to her apartment. Back to Cress and their realm of pink.

From where she was standing, Athena had an almost direct view across the river to the Globe Theatre and Tate Modern, relics of Londons from long ago. Had life been simpler in any of the city's former reincarnations? Shakespeare had been popular a few years ago, and Athena had dutifully worked her way through his complete works. What would Portia have said to Bree, to convince her that she wasn't a spy? How would Viola have ensured her friends stayed on her side?

"Athena," the voice was soft, cautious and achingly familiar. Athena turned from the river to see Dyo approaching through the darkness, Sephy beside him.

"I'm sorry, I promise I'm sorry," Athena told them, tears falling from her eyes once more.

"Don't be like that!" Sephy said, enveloping Athena in her arms and squeezing her tight. "We're the ones who should be sorry - it would appear our friends, or former friends, I should say, are all moronic."

"You don't think I'm the leak?" Athena sniffed, pleased that the darkness was concealing the blotchy mess her face had become.

"Of course not! I wish you'd told us about Castor sooner though," Sephy added, stepping back. "Anyway," she said, with a glance over her shoulder to Dyo. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm on your side. I'll see you later." She left before Athena could say anything else, heading west along the river bank.

"She's not going to Orion's?" Athena asked Dyo, confused. Orion lived ten minutes in the opposite direction.

"Orion's still inside. He and Sephy had a fight."

"About me?" the question came out as a whisper, shuddering with guilt.

"About Orion's 'lack of faith in Sephy's judgement of character' was how she put it," Dyo replied with a ghost of a laugh.

"Oh," Athena's voice was quiet; that still sounded a lot like they'd been arguing about her. "And what about you?" she continued. "Do you have faith in Sephy's judgement of character?"

Dyo sighed and leant forwards on the railing that ran along the bank. He looked out across the water, in the direction of the theatre.

"We all have past links to the system that we'd prefer not to have. I've met Castor before; he's charming and eloquent and persuasive. I can understand why you were sucked in. I'm just pleased that you realised that you couldn't trust him in the end."

That was it? After the reaction in Bree's flat, Athena had been expecting the Dyo of her first meeting to make a reappearance: chastising her for being a naive little pop voter. But understanding? Forgiveness? Perhaps she was being paranoid, but something about Dyo's behaviour didn't add up. She watched him, waiting for him to continue, to trust her with whatever it was that made him so disaffected, so withdrawn. He was like a puzzle she couldn't solve, thwarting her expectations whenever she thought she had him figured out. It was as infuriating as it was intriguing.

He turned to look at her, his mouth open on the verge of speech. But he closed it again with a slight shake of his head, swallowing his secrets. Instead, he took her hand in his and squeezed it.

"I'll walk you home," he said at last, leading her from the barrier and starting down the path Sephy had disappeared along.

Athena had a hundred questions buzzing through his head, but none he was likely to give her answers to. "What do we do now?" she asked instead.

"Bree is on a war path, desperate to find something that incriminates you. Meanwhile, the real traitor will be gathering more information and putting us all in danger. Maybe you should lie low for a while. Go home to see your parents."

"It sounds like you're sending me away," she said with a sideways glance. Dyo's burning amber eyes were fixed on the path ahead.

"I'm trying to keep you safe."

"I don't need you to protect me, Dyo."

He smiled, squeezing her hand, the blaze in his eyes softening as he tilted his head towards her. "I know that, but just because it's my idea doesn't mean it's a bad one; don't refuse to go just to spite me."

Athena thought for a moment, silent. It would be nice to see her parents; they'd been worrying about her since the bomb in Trafalgar and the daily messages and calls she was now fielding from them only did so much. They would be pleased to see her. But Hastings felt so far removed from everything that had happened to her this term; a precious little bubble she was terrified of becoming lost in. Only a few minutes before, she'd wanted to return home as an escape, now it felt more like a trap.

"You could come with me," she suggested, her voice quiet and unsure. Going home would be easier if she could keep a part of this new world with her; a safety net back to New London and the resistance. But they'd only been dating for a few weeks. Taking Dyo home was a huge step. She was crazy for suggesting it. There was no way he would say yes.

"Would they mind?" he asked, his voice just as quiet, as uncertain. "I mean, you turning up unannounced. With a guy."

"You'd have to stay in the guest room," she told him blushing. Was this really happening? Did he actually want to come, or was he looking for an easy excuse not to?

"I'd be okay with that."

"So you'll come? Home? With me?" Athena was babbling. She stared at Dyo, her lips parted, her mouth hanging open.

Dyo pulled her towards him, catching her bottom lip in a brief kiss. "You were the one who asked!" he told her, bumping his nose against hers. "Don't sound so unsure about it now!"

Athena laughed. "I'm sorry, I just thought you'd run a mile when I suggested it. I'd love for you to come with me."

"Okay," he said, the beginning of a grin spreading across his lips. "We'll leave on the first train. But please call your parents first to make sure that it's okay."

"It will be more than okay; my mum is going to be nauseatingly excited."

{Day late on the new schedule already, sorry! I'm at YALC on Friday, enjoying all things books, so I'll prep the next chapter later on today and try to post it from the train on Friday morning!}