Chapter Thirty Eight

The first thing Athena did when she opened her eyes was check her messages. Still nothing.

She sent a few more while she showered and tried to find something white to wear.

Dyo's silence couldn't mean anything good. She began to compose a message to Bree, before remembering that Bree had told her not to contact Dyo. Sephy would have been the natural person to ask, but that was out. Athena sighed as she pulled out a white blouse and a soft ecru skirt. She double checked the current trends before plating her fringe across her forehead, putting in some teardrop silver earrings and applying a thin sheen of purple eye shadow to her eyelids. She would have to borrow one of Cress' coats. There was a long hooded one that she'd been eyeing enviously for a few days.

"What do you think, Hoot?" she asked her hamster as she approached his cage with some food. "Do I look like a good little pop voter?" After keeping her company all night, spinning around in his wheel, Hoot was now fast asleep in the corner of his cage. She left the mix in his bowl and headed out to try and force down some breakfast herself.

To her dismay, Athena discovered that Cress was already sat at the counter, sipping from a mug of tea.

"Oh, you're already up!" her friend exclaimed. Her hair was pulled back into its usual messy bun, a plait wound around the outside. Behind her thick, white framed glasses, her eyes had purple shadows beneath them that matched her lids. "How are you feeling? I assume you've caught up on the feeds?"

Athena didn't trust herself to speak, so settled for nodding as she put her bread in the toaster.

"I'm really sorry about your friend." Athena turned around slowly, her eyes wide in surprise. She had expected a lecture, or an 'I told you so' smugness, not sympathy. "You know I've never liked her, but I could tell that you did and it must be horrible to discover that she isn't who you thought she was. A bomb... Even I wouldn't have seen that coming. She was quirky, sure, and a bit odd, but a terrorist?" Cress shook her head. "I'm astounded. But how are you feeling?"

"A bit numb," Athena answered truthfully. Her anger, fear and frustration had all melded into one, unfeeling mess. She was focusing on the task ahead of her and nothing else. Failure wasn't an option, so panic couldn't be either. She put her toast on a plate, drizzled a healthy dose of honey over it and sat next to Cress at the counter.

"They've been talking about reinstating the death penalty," Cress added softly, not meeting Athena's eyes. "I think that sounds a bit too extreme, personally, but I agree that something has to be done. I'm relieved that she was caught before she could cause any real damage - or suck you too far into her ideology."

Cress would be expecting Athena to re-affirm her commitment to pop votes, or express her dismay at Sephy's actions, but Athena couldn't bring herself to do either. Cress didn't let the silence last long though.

"As awful as this is, I'm pleased it seems to have brought you back from the brink. You look great today - so fresh and current. Your hair is really pretty like that. This is a good trend for you," she continued approvingly. "I guess losing your new friends must be a bit of a blow, but you still have me and the campaign group, don't worry. It just goes to show how difficult it is to trust someone." Cress gave a knowing nod, clueless to the irony of her own situation with Castor. "I wasn't the biggest fan of your boyfriend, but he seemed nice enough. Have you spoken to him since? Do you think he knew what she was planning? I'm sure he will tell you that he didn't, since he won't want to go the same way as her, but these crazies rarely work alone." Cress paused before adding, "I hate to ask this, Athena, really I do, but I must check: you didn't know, did you?"

Athena shook her head.

"I didn't think so - I told Castor you would never agree to something like that."

Athena blinked. "You've been discussing the bomb with Castor?"

"Of course! I've got to admit, he was sceptical when he heard that you were friends with her. The Institute are certain she had an accomplice."

"They're sure she was trying to bomb the Institute?" Athena tried to keep her tone neutral, so that Cress wouldn't be suspicious.

"Yes," Cress said softly, her voice laced with sympathy. "Irrefutable evidence."

"Did Castor tell you what?"

"No. He said that was for the trial."

Once the Freedom Institute had long enough to plant something convincing... Although it was unlikely any of the riotous mob voting would even bother to look at the evidence, or the case notes, since they were already so certain of Sephy's guilt.

"I was so upset when I heard - can you imagine if it had gone off with him there?" It hadn't occurred to Cress that Sephy had only been accused of planning to bomb the FI - no explosion had taken place. She prattled on regardless, her voice beginning to grate in Athena's sleep-deprived ears.

"There was me being angry with him last night because he didn't respond to my messages and he was busy dealing with all of this! I feel so guilty. I'm meeting him this evening. He's taking me out to 'apologise for upsetting me!' But I should really be the one apologising to him." Athena liked Cress, she really did, but sometimes Cress didn't know when to pause and take a breath.

"Are you on your way out this morning too?" Cress asked at last, when she seemed to have exhausted her anti-Sephy rant for the time being. "We can leave together if so, I'm meeting Demi and Dora downstairs."

Speaking to Cress had been hard enough, Athena didn't think she could stomach any more questions or well intentioned pep talks.

"I think I'm going to wait for a bit; I'm not great company right now. I'm still trying to process everything that's happened."

"Are you sure?" Cress' voice was hopeful; the invitation offered in politeness rather than sincerity.

"Absolutely, Cress," Athena replied firmly.

"Okay, well don't spend too long on your own. It's not good for you. How about we meet for lunch?"

"Sure," Athena replied, deciding it was the easiest answer. She could cancel later, once Sephy was free.

Later. The word echoed around in her head as Cress left the flat. What was going to happen later? If they managed to free Sephy, she'd be a fugitive. What would happen to her next? Where would she go? Would Orion take her back to East America with him? Would she be safe there if he did? What about the rest of them? Would they have to go on the run too? What would her parents think?

Athena held her head in her hands. It felt like it was about to explode. She couldn't think about all this now. All that mattered was getting Sephy out. She could have a breakdown afterwards.

Dyo, she sent into the abyss. We need you.