Chapter Thirty

Athena did go home, but not to panic. She needed to plan. The group was struggling without Dyo, that much was clear from what Ajax had said. But Dyo wouldn't go back to the group until Bree apologised to Athena for believing she was the spy. And Bree wasn't going to apologise until she uncovered the real spy. Athena knew who the spy was, but no one - not even Dyo - was going to believe her until she had indisputable proof. She needed to find it and fast.

Athena jumped as she heard the lock click behind her and the doorway open. Cress entered the flat, followed by the very person Athena was suddenly eager to see.

"Castor." He turned at the sound of his name, his eyes darkening as they met hers.

"Miss Mills, how are you? Still fraternising with your band of renegades?" His voice was cold. Cress fidgeted nervously beside him.

Athena shook her head. "I haven't spoken to them for weeks. I'm sorry I couldn't keep gathering information with you; it just didn't feel right."

His expression softened slightly. "I understand that. It was a lot of responsibility for someone so young."

"I feel really bad. I know how important you thought it was that someone kept an eye on them."

He was quiet for a moment, debating how best to reply. "Please don't lose any sleep over it," he told her at last. "I've managed to solve that problem without your help."

It was as good an admission that there was a spy as Athena was likely to get. Before she could ask any more questions, Castor's glasses flashed. He stood rigidly for a moment, reading something on the screen, then turned back to Cress.

"I'm sorry, Cressida, that was a message from work. I'm going to have to rush back."

"But you've-"

"I'm sorry! And Athena, please rest assured those terrorists won't be bothering the city again after today. Cressida, I'll call you later with more details."

He turned and left before she could protest further.

"Cress-"

"I've got an essay to finish." She choked out before she rushed into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her. Athena looked at the door for a moment, indecision warring inside her, then she threw on her shoes and coat on and followed Castor out of the Downing Street halls.

What had he meant when he said that the group wouldn't be a problem after today? It couldn't be anything good.

Dyo? Where are you right now? She sent across to Dyo; while she was confident that following Castor was the smart thing to do, she wasn't reckless enough to try it alone.

Out for a run in St James' park. Want to meet for lunch when I'm done? Dyo replied almost immediately.

Not exactly... I'm kind of in the process of following Castor Grant. - Athena

You're what? - Dyo

I've got a bad feeling; I think the group's in danger. We're just passing through Trafalgar. I'm sharing my location with you now so you can find me. - Athena

Dyo didn't reply again, but he accepted the invitation she sent him on friend finder. He would catch her up soon.

Athena almost lost sight of Castor twice in the crowded city streets. She followed him through Trafalgar and north along Charing Cross Road, his head down and his steps determined. Athena was passing an advertisement for Freedom Pet Insurance when Dyo reached her. He squeezed her hand and she nodded in Castor's direction. He'd come to a stop outside of a cafe.